LS and new to forum

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi!

Very happy to have found and already replied to a few posts on here!

I am 36 and have 3 children. I was visually diagnosed with LS by a doctor at a GUM clinic many years ago. I had little help from my GP at my local surgery. For years she gave me thrush cream and sent me away. I had to ask her to examine me and when she did she just said she thought I had a sti and to go to my GUM.

I am so greatful for the lovely doctor who treated me at the GUM and who has been helping me up until now. I have only ever had 2 small splits, both responded well to steroid cream. I now use it once a month and ointment daily as moisturiser.

I have been going for yearly checks and she always says how well the areas look and she has no worries. This last appointment she told me the clinic is no longer funded to treat these types of conditions. She wrote to my GP who referred me to a gynecologist.

The gynecologist was rude and said he wanted a biopsy before going any further and was shocked I hadn't had one before.

Looking for a second opinion I paid privately to see another gynecologist. He was much nicer but he seemed concerned by my lack of 'plump labia' I said I had felt I'd shrunk a little but I wasn't overly worried. He said it could be a precancerous condition and wants to do a vulvoscopy. So I have agreed and will do it on Monday. He did say I could wait a few months but I just want it over with.

I'm so confused as I have no symptoms and I feel really well!!? Before the steroid cream I had the awful itch and the splits were so painful. For years now that has been under control. I might have one flare up in a year and it's mild, a day or two at the most. Surely I can't have VIN or something worse?

I feel my initial doctor was so calm and happy and I have found the creams to work well and in the space of a week my world has been sent into a panic!

Any advice very very welcome xxx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone smile

Just wanted to give a quick update!

I went for my vulvoscopy yesterday. It was very quick and only a mild sting when he applied the dilute vinegar solution. He checked under the microscope and was happy that there is no VIN.

Interestingly in his opinion he thinks my problems are more dermatological than LS. I think I'm suffering with both but we both agreed that the treatments are the same so I should carry on as I am.

I have no splits atm and no itching, soreness. The only way I will get a firm diagnosis is a biopsy. As the vulvoscopy showed no VIN I think I'm happy to continue without a biopsy. Maybe in the future it may change.

Thank you so much for all the support and helpful comments. I will definitely continue to contribute to this wonderful forum. I wish us all a healthy future!

• Posted

thanks for your update, Em and that sounds really positive. Good news!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.