LS and UTIs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started having aches everytime I passed water a couple of months ago but it came and went. However, for the past two weeks it never went away and has elevated to an extreme burning sensation. Desperate, I went to a drop-in clinic last night and he gave me Cipro for a UTI. The only thing is, I'm not convinced I have a UTI. The burning sensation seems to be more centred around the clotoris area. I don't recall having a UTI before, is this how it feels? I didn't tell the doctor on duty about my LS because quite frankly I sick of seeing doctors at the moment and sick of doctors seeing me (if you know what I mean) and didn't want to get into that discussion with him.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pyridium is a very good choice, the over the counter version is not as strong as the presciption strength but it will help you with the burning. Just know, that it will stain your panties and your urine will be very bright yellow. If you are in the US, some possible names are Azo-Gesic, or Azo-Standard. You may have to ask the desk, sometimes it is back of the counter.
    • Posted

I am in Canada. Do you know what name it goes by here?
    • Posted

Btw... not too worried about the panty staining. I replace them all monthly due to my constant periods. 3 weeks right now, last one lasted from July 23rd to October 14th. At least the lengthy ones aren't heavy mostly just spotting.
    • Posted

You also might want to watch what you drink,nothing acidic or sugary.urine will burn skin if too strong
    • Posted

My sister recommended a vitamin c drink - she saidbit changes the acidity of the urine and helps keep bacteria at bay. Has anyone else tried this?
    • Posted

Is that why so many commenters on this site advise against sugar??? I was wondering what the comnection was between LS and sugar.
  • Posted

There are a few things I'm thinking off, regarding your discomfort while emptying the bladder.  Do you know whether there is any fusing or covering over of the clitoris?  Also:  Do you have the feeling that you are emptying your bladder completely?  Could there be an obstruction due to LS fusing?  All leading to irritation/discomfort/certain pain. 

I would encourage you to make some careful observations down there.  See what's going on. 

• Posted

Vaginal atrophy which can involve the vulva can cause burning
    • Posted

Hi Lee, my guess is that it is very likely there is vaginal atrophy. I just had to go look up what actually meant - the definition I read said that it is caused by low estrogen and not enough lubrication. I don't have a problem with vaginal dryness (yet) and I think that the IUD helps keep my hormones levels on track.

Last night I remembered my LS gyme telling me to use Penetan cream if I feel any soreness down there. I applied that last night and I think it helped contribute to feeling more comfortable today.

• Posted

The doctor should have tested your urine for a UTI.  If it confirms a UTI then you need to know what bug it is and what antibiotics are effective for it.  It is useless being handed an antibiotic randomly as it might not be the right one.  I have worked in a hospital and know the report would show this clearly. 
    • Posted

The doctor did a chemstix test in his office but due to the spotting which could give a false reading due to blood showing up he saidbhebwould send it off to the lab more or less as a precaution. However, he felt pretty sure it was a UTI gave me antiobiotics to get going on it while we wait for the sample to come back.

Just to update everyone.... I am much more comfortable today. I believe part of the problem which caused me to be so desperate was that I would go to the washroom everytime I felt the urge, which was frequent - even though very little came out. Last night Lee said that the urine itself could be causing the burning so today I've been chairbound with my legs crossed letting the water build so that I get a good stream going when I do go. I think this has helped because I have reduced how often my skin was exposed to the urine. I am still experiencing burning but not to the point of needing ice packs or being reducd to tears everytime I pee. The Tylenol really helped me last night. Cranberry juice - not so sure. The stuff my husband picked up was not low cal so it had a lot of sugar in it. The advice I read last said sugar was a no no.

I don't know if there has been any clitoral fusing - I have no idea what that would look like. I know there are many of you who will disagree with me, but I'm not so sure that looking at area regularly is productive - there is nothing I can do to reverse any damage. All it does is make me feel stressed, hopeless, and depressed. I'm probably not the only one who feels that way. LS is a nasty disease and very personal - its not something you want to talk about with non-LS folks the same way you share your flu symptoms; but yet you do want to talk about it with someone. All we can do is look for ways to make it bearable and slow down it's progression. A lot of the advice I've been reading on this website is exactly that so I think this website is fabulous. It's also good to hear other people's experiences if for no other reason than to know you aren't alone. Thank you to everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.