ls it ok to take anti histamine tablets regularly?

Posted , 7 users are following.

l seem to have permanent allergic rhinitis and anti histamines do help and guarantee a good night's sleep, but l am concerned whether it is ok to take them on a permanent basis.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi oystercatcher, Yes no problem. I have been taking them for allergic reactions to all sorts of things for about 30 years.

My gp does change the make occasionally, as you can get very used to one type and then they're not so effective.

The only thing you shouldn't take all the time is the nasal spray.

They control the histamine levels in your body much in the same way as thyroxine controls the thyroid levels and are very safe.

Have you been diagnosed by a medic or are you doing this on your own? There are treatments out there for allergic rhinitis if you ask your gp. Ask to go to the ENT department at your local hospital. (Ear, Nose and Throat) there may be something they can do to help you, rather than just take the anti-histamines.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. lt is very helpful. l have been diagnosed by a gp and was prescribed loratadine, so l now just pick it up from the pharmacy or supermarket.
    • Posted

I've recently been put on the same for a suspected pet allergy. They are working well on day 2 which is great.  I do feel a little off balance and sick, did u get this with the meds? Thanks
  • Posted

You are very welcome. Hope you go on ok.
  • Posted

Hi Oyster catcher I have the exact same problem...always blocked nose got told was rhinitis but they wouldn't do anything except prescribe nose spray! I wonder if guna cause me longer term damage somewhere n isn't it bad for ur lungs to breathe in stuff through your mouth all the time! Plus the annoying comments from people...Ooh have u got a cold dear!!! No! Aurgh!! smile
  • Posted

Do yourself a good FAVOR and kick the drug world and get yourself much healthier in SO MANY ways including allergy and asthma issues and find your way to Pycnogenol or Grape Seed Extract....these two antioxidants are lifesavers in my life, been taking one or the other, sometimes both for 19 yrs soon.....no more allergy and sinus issues....NO MORE.....

No more drugs and that is a BIG one.....drugs all come with possible side effects, who needs that.....

• Posted

Never go to your ENT doctor with such problems. Its only getting worser through operations, doctors then dont help you and become aggresive,go bullying, when you complain about the result
  • Posted

Read my posting of a couple months ago, no more drugs for this lady.....haven't taken a antihistime for over 19 yrs.....
  • Posted

I'm sensitive to histamine and I'm using a dietary supplement called Daosin. To your question, I'm not really sure if it's that good to take it without having a histamine intolerance. In my opinion it depends on the kind of supplement. Probably it's better to talk with your doc wink
  • Posted

It is safe and there are different kind of it. I use myself rupatadine which was developed in Spain but by  GSK (British so far). However in the long term your allergy is likely to come out of control, you should press your doctor to be referred to an allergic clinic. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.