LS Perhaps we could compile a Fact Sheet

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was discussing this forum with my 40+ son yesterday He suggested that if we could compile a fact sheet of what we KNOW not  what we THINK; offer it to our gynae / derm consultants for their input then have a website with an international bias, we could perhaps construct a questionaire together with the medics relating to common issues: treatments / associated conditions/ lifestyle issues/ stress factors / age / ethinicity/ diet and the usual smoking drinking and sexual issues/ family history

A separate part of the paper could be for suggestions / alternative therapies / what works for me /

When this time limited self referral "study" was complete PhD students could be offered aspects to study for their final degrees

Thoughts from you all??

(Interestingly my son has recently diagnosed Gilberts syndrome - another auto immune condition his father has MS and he brother asthma!)

8 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Is there any satisfactory explanation why men get this condition, I wonder.  With women, the common cause is imbalance of hormones, aging (not necessarily obviously) and auto-immune disorder.  Also, can it be transmitted from women with LS to men (although I highly doubt it, it will be good to know).   It certainly is unpleasant but with our sharing of information (this wonderful group of people here), we shall find a solution soon!!
    • Posted

Hello Vibrant Health, If the cause is a change in the hormone level- then it can affect bth sexes- men have hormones too!!

I have stated several times that i believe stress factors have a lot to contribute and the propensity for individuals to acquire auto immune disorders. My Ex had / has MS My son has asthma and another has Gilberts syndrome - i have LS and asthma and  various types of arthitis are also auto immune. The fight or flight hormone flows around the body if flight doesnt happen after "fright" -ie  stressing factors:- fear worry anxiety tension etc. these hormones are thougth to cause a whole heap of damage from heart problems, stroke, irritable bowel and many other bodily disfucntions

Again there are children who have LS and one of us was born with it- so perhaps maternal stress could have been factors (in pregnancy) but without a long term monitoring of indiviuals, it would be hard to determine

I very much doubt there is any transfer of LS from one person to another - It doesnt feature in any sex clinic i am aware of - the received wisdom is that it is NOT infectious AT ALL-

On one blog i read years ago a woman in the State thought it was and was horrified so scrubbed herself with bleach! She had terrible burns - It was not diagnosed for years  in her part of the world, and treatment was hit and miss- we are so much luckier now that high potency steroids can alleviate so much distress.

Other factors may play a part eg: repeated thrush infections, over weight, changes in  hormone level -thyroid - for instance, poor nuitrition, dehydration - and MAY BE the fashion for wearing thongs (Not the Australian footwear)- But i am NOT  guilty of that fashio faux pas!!!

• Posted

VH, no transmission, definitely not. No more than arthritis is contagious. But I know it seems yucky where there's intimate contact. My sister's a nurse with hair loss and bad scalp psoriasis. People assume she has something horribly contagious. Nope.
    • Posted

I'm interested to hear you mention the fight or flight thing. I have M.E. probably brought on after a bout of serious depression a few years ago (which I completely got over but was then hit with the M.E.) and my fight or flight reflex is now seriously over sensitive especially where unexpected sound is concerned. I completely over react and just can't help it. Never thought about THAT with regard to my LS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.