LS seems to be autoimmune disease.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Does that mean that we women are more susceptible to viruses, respiratory infections, etc.? Do most follow  a certain diet ?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

From what my consultant said Judy its more in later life we are more susceptible to diabetes, thyroid problems and other autoimmune diseases. I think if we can keep ourselves healthy by exercise diet and the correct supplements we can fight this kicking and screaming.
  • Posted

I stand to be corrected if I have this wrong but my belief about auto-immune problems is that our bodies immune system goes into overdrive and starts to attack our bodies.  Hence why things down below suffer atrophy.  As the immune system is working so hard we rarely get colds and similar illnesses as our immune systems deals with them quickly.  One of the bonuses of this problem.  Though I would gladly swap. The concern is for the cancer that may develop in areas that are constantly being damaged.  By treating the area we reduce this risk.  If I have this wrong I would be glad to be corrected. 
    • Posted

I am just interrupting your forum as I research information on LS and a lot of what you say is relevant to me. I often wondered why I never got infections even  colds but just put it down to a good healthy diet  and exercise.

I have self diagnosed LS and started to treat it as I have to wait for 2 months for a hospital appointment. I did try to get the GP to start treatment but she says wait to see the consultant..I have all the symtoms and my anatomical structure of my labia has changed over the weeks even with treatment and the symptoms improving. From my reading it is better to treat aggressively and promptly so I have taken control. Luckily I had the cream for a patch lichen simplex chronicus which I had a year ago - not sure whether it is connected but it is the recommended treatment for both. I also have developed a very active gut but as it does not cause me too many problems I have ignored it. Interesting what you have been saying perhaps I should look at diet but as I feel so well and have no problems with my weight and have never been on a diet before I may find it difficult.

• Posted

Treatment can mask the Ls so that when biopsies are taken or the area inspected there is no active ls to give a positive biopsy or for the consultant to see which is why the doctor probably wanted you to wait before treating.  I understand you being keen to treat though.  It is awful not knowing what to do.
    • Posted

Have you had a gut exam (eg: colonoscopy?) 

I had diverticulosis for a while and IBS ongoing, which prompted my doctor to suggest a colonoscopy. The IBS is now under better control because of diet. A few other issues (brain fog, LS) have also responded well to the diet. The diverticulosis is gone. Tissues all over are in better shape. I got that news from my dental hygienist three months after going on the diet. "What's different?" "Wow!" ...Called in the dentist to take a look....

Re diet. It's a project alright. The good news is you can pig out on diet things you love to make it go easier. For me that's avocados, smoothies, non-dairy cheese, almond butter, apple butter, breads full of fibre and almond flour but no grains, meat/poultry/fish cooked with coconut oil and herbs, decadent desserts made with stevia, lots of veggies (no diet is perfect.....) Basically I don't feel deprived. Some desserts like chocolate-avocado pudding - tastes like the real thing - are ok to eat for lunch, main course. Bonus! Lots of diet/recipe sites online to go to. I can recommend it.

• Posted

Yes I realised that it may mess up the diagnosis but if the treatment works then to me that was the most important. As I was so sore and abnormal looking I risked it. I knew it was not infection and appeared to be inflammation so it was a calculated risk.
    • Posted

I don't blame you.  Good luck with the appointment.
    • Posted

Does anyone know if you can get LS of the urethra in women because that is the area that does not seem to be responding to treatment. I have a constant discomfort of the urethra, with swelling of the opening.
    • Posted

I think you can get it around the urethral meatus. I have it around there. Some people have said that it can go inside but myhe first doctor I saw said no, LS is a skin disease and doesn't go "inside" Not sure who to believe. I always wonder if LS can go up the urethra how this would be treated.

I also might add that I've read in numerous places that the vulva - especially the non hair areas especially the mucosal surfaces are quite steroid resistant hence why we are prescribed potent/ultra potent steroids. The urethra is a mucosal surface. I also think that part of my LS isn't responding to the topical steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.