LS symptoms. Ugh!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had LS almost 40 years ago. it went away on it's own. Now at age 59 it has come back with a vengence. i would like to go to water aerobic classes and will try a barrier ointment. It has been a very stressful year for me, and i truly believe that it has exacerbated the condition. i pick up my doctor prescribed rx tonight. i hope it improves. i appreciate the suggestions on this forum. i don't feel so alone.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Went away on its own!! Wow, don't we all wish for that? If only a doctor could figure out HOW that happened. Sorry to hear it has reared its ugly head after so much time, but you are certainly not alone.

I swam in the pool last winter and it caused no problem for me, though other women said it burns. I think using a bit of vaseline works fine. I also found the ocean soothing, but some say it burned terribly. It's an individual thing. In general I don't have much discomfort. I'm grateful for that, at least and hoping it stays that way.

I am looking into having the platelet rich plasma injection (PRP). We have been discussing it on this site.

• Posted

I'm a relative new-comer, but this would be my set of advice:

1. Rinse after every toilet visit, either a bottle with water and baking soda or some sort of bidet gadget.
    2. some sort of oil/cream barrier after each toilet visit. For me, it's mostly coconut oil (anti-yeast properties), vaseline, and aloe vera gel.
    3. No Soap down there...just water. if you need occasional soap, dove unscented. In fact, get rid of any scented oils, lotions or soaps...just give them away.
    4. Beware, not all flares are flares...is it yeast? (I get yeast reaction to the steroid, so I use Nystatin as needed)...a urinary irritation is probably a uti? be prepared.
    5. UTI prevention. Barrier to protect irritated skin from bacteria. Don't double dip into your pot of vaseline/coconut oil/aquafor with the same finger...you'll contaminate the pot. Always apply front to back with anything. Once your finger has gone to the back, don't come back to the front. If you're a gardener...wash your hands BEFORE the toilet...turns out soil can have lots of fungal and yeasty things...don't want to introduce it from your hands.
    6. If you have a flare - ice, aloe vera, bath.
    7. NO SUGAR...just no sugar...don't do it.
    8. I get itchy from borax, but I've started boron supplements. I think this may be good, but too early to tell.
    9. Read, read, read. Lots of journal articles, lots of ideas...some good, some less so.

That's my list...I'm eager to read others...

• Posted

Hi DLG,

You are most definitely not alone. My latest (#6) gyn doc said LS is on the rise. I am interested to know what stressors you experienced that may ave brought back your LS. Also, what, exact symptoms do you have? PM me if you prefer. In the last 3 years I lost my best friend and both parents, my house, almost my job, and had numerous reversals of one kind or another, all of which tested my faith deeply.

I am a few years older than you are but have had, until now, a completely uneventful menopause. Nary a hot flash or irritable moment (I am just naturally irritable, LOL) For my age, I am in very good shape and eat well. I know for a fact that stress kills and brings on auto-immune problems.... I am trying to use what scientific knowledge I have to help myself and the rest of us here who are suffering. I'm not giving up and don't you either. biscuit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.