LS & Vitiligo

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies, strange question for you all ok...!

Do any of you suffer symptoms of Vitiligo apparently there are close links between the two, Both need steroid ointment, injections etc to be treated. 

Both Auto Immune problems, just wondered if anyone else had read things between about the similarities in both ailments.

Thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello LS sufferer, 

Nancy here. I don't have Vitiligo but my daughter does and she's had thyroid cancer and hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease.  I've spent the last 3 months totally absorbed with learning about this egregious disease we all have that brought us here. 

I've posted a list and one update so far about what I found out about the many autoimmune diseases.  One main commonality referenced in the science literature is vitamin D deficiency and probably much else, but that is for starters. Most recently - I don't think i've sent the update of my list since discovering these: 

1.    Nearly 75% of the 24 million Americans suffering from one of the 150 autoimmune diseases are women, according to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA). People often suffer from more than one autoimmune disease which suggests there are common disease pathways.   (20) (38)

2.    Autoimmune Diseases Brew in Our Bodies FOR YEARS before Diagnosis.  If we have one autoimmune disease (AID), we are statistically at risk for subsequent autoimmune diseases.   Why?   Because it’s like we have a fire and if it’s not put out, it just gets bigger and bigger. Dr. Gerald Mullin from Johns Hopkins says statistically somebody with an autoimmune disease is at risk of a total of 7 autoimmune diseases in his or her lifetime.  (59)   

As for the Vitiligo, I've looked a bit on what i could ifn form y daughter so far: 

1.     Improvement of VITILIGO after oral treatment with Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid and the importance of sun exposure. The Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden Study in 1997 showed the benefit and repigmentation from a 3 to 6- month course of folic acid, Vitamin B12, AND sun exposure. (43)  

BUT only use natural FOLATE! not folic acid - see below: 

2.    In 2012, independent nutrition researcher, Chris Kressler, and the Prevention Magazine researchers reported on an increase in cancer rates from the ingestion of the synthetic folic acid over time versus the natural folate. Most multivitamins have been using folic acid, including prenatal vitamins. Cereals and breads routinely have added folic acid. Mr. Kressler warns that many articles, including those by physicians, conflate the term folic acid with folate, so to be careful in analyzing anything you read. (44)

Hope this helps, 

Nancy age 72, United States.

• Posted

I don't have vitiligo, but my daughter does. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago but I think (and doctor agrees) that I've had it for at least 20 years. She was diagnosed 2 years ago. I was wondering if there was a connection as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.