LS with vaginal infection? Related or not?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, last month I was diagnosed with lichen planus on my scalp. It was a condition that my doctor had been unsuccessfully treating, I thought it was really bad dandruff-until my hair began falling out. Saw a dermatologist 3 weeks ago, he looked at my scalp for a minute, diagnosed me, gave me some meds and rescheduled me for one month later.

Meanwhile, 2 days ago I began having burning pain when urinating. This morning, I woke up with a vaginal infection of some kind and a blister resembling a canker sore on the inner part of my inner labia.

Obviously, I'm going to the ER to find out what it is. I had a group B strep infection 4 years ago and the symptoms are similar, except that never presented with an open sore. I'm scared to take anti-biotics, as I'm trying to detox the yeast out of my body.

I'm wondering, for those of you with lichen sclerosus - Is it possible for LS to cause a vaginal infection? I have cloudy discharge that does not smell right, and swelling of my labia, along with cramping. I'm wondering if the lichen planus on my scalp migrated down south, or if this is some other condition? ANY input appreciated! Can lichen sclerosus cause a vaginal infection that is NOT a yeast infection?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yesterday, still suffering with symptoms, I went to what we call "urgent care" or "walk-in clinics." They are supposed to be for non-life threatening emergencies, when your regular doctor is unavailable. Mostly, they are useless in my area. They are extremely conservative in any treatments, and generally not the top of the class students don't work in them. They are known for incompentency and extended wait times, which was part of my reason for going to the ER-they are fully equipped to deal with anything.

Anyway, I got lucky and there was only one patient there. Wait time was nothing, and I lucked out and got an old man doctor. The nurse had never even heard of lichen planus, but the doctor knew some about it. After listening to my history, my ER horror story, and examining me, he said the ER was wrong to diagnose me without testing me for it! I didn't know they never ran a test for herpes. The freakin' ER diagnosed me with herpes, only tested for a handful of other STD/STI's-but never tested for herpes!

Once we got past that, there was a language barrier. The doctor was Chinese and had a heavy accent. Luckily, he was patient and didn't mind re-explaining and helping me figure out what he was saying. He also conversed with me, medically, at the highest level I could understand, rather than give vague answers. He said it could be any number of things causing my symptoms and that it could very well be lichen planus, or herpes, or something else...that lab testing can easily confirm or deny, but that the test had to be done! So, he tested me for herpes and I'll have the results at the end of the week. He also tested for several other things. My GP will finish the rest of the testing this week.

So, that was the good news of the visit. The bad news was, he wanted me to take a broad-spectrum antibiotic and an anti-viral medicine until the lab could process the tests. So, I was left with a choice of taking a bunch of medicine without knowing if I actually needed it or not, OR just waiting on lab tests all week, which was the whole reason why my doctor wanted me to go to the ER to begin with-get the right medicine working right away. I decided to wait, I can't risk a candida problem. LP is spreading on my scalp. For over a year, it was one area, about the size of a quarter. Since being diagnosed, it's grown much larger and continues moving out. I am going bald! My infection seems to be healing on it's own, and the blister is just kind of lingering. No pain or itching. Hopefully, it's not serious. One positive though, he at least gave me some lidocaine gel I can use on it! So, unlike the ER, he did lab testing to determine the cause of "vaginitis." He gave me medicine to treat most likely causes, even though I don't think it's likely that my problem falls into the "likely" category. He gave me pain relief gel. Completely opposite to what the ER said and did. At least I'll have some answers from that, and thank you Jesus, it is finally Monday!!! I can go see my regular doctor, who is gold! Thank you all for your support.

• Posted

Hello all, tests are back and no herpes... NOW, days later, they suggest I see a doctor. Really? Why didn't I think of that? Thank you Jesus, my real doctor is back on duty and the weekend from heck can go back there! I'm reasonably certain it's LS or LP. I've started a whole cleanse of my body and went on a paleo diet. Infection seems to be clearing while I waited for help, and the mystery sore is gone.
    • Posted

Well at least you must be relieved that you dont have herpes.  Let us know how you get on when you see your regular doc.
  • Posted

Hey

Good news everyone!  My LS hasn't changed yet, but since on a low sugar diet, in only a few days I have lost 2 pounds.  There is always something good that comes out of bad!  Yay!!!

• Posted

For your interest, there is a website named caredownthere,  I would put the link but I think my comment would not get pass the moderator. (Sorry Emis, I have sent an email to you to ask, about three days ago but think you are on your holidays and I really want to post this!)  😊

It is just the best explanation and difference between LS and LP I have seen yet. Wish I'd seen it all those months ago.

Cheers, all. 

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

Yes, I got your PM but have been busy catching up after the holiday season. I'll post your link below in this case but for future reference we cannot allow repeated posting of links to the same site. However there is a link to the caredownthere site in the pinned discussion (second link below) which I added previously at the request of users. So if you want to refer users you can use that link and it won't go for moderation or just say the name of the site as you did above without actually linking it.

http://www.caredownthere.com.au/_pages/advice_planus.html

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/new-to-ls-start-here-297241

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.