LTKR Feb 2017

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has had the same or similar pros as me. Had my tkr in Feb 2017 but swelling has never quite gone down, but ROM is good, no problems bending but still gets stiff. Earlier this year (1st time was new years eve) my knee started swelling up more & getting stiff for no particular reason, then within a few hrs would go bk down again. This happened quite a few times & each time would get worse. It would suddenly balloon up & I'd be in excruciating pain for about half an hour to an hour. Eventually after several episodes of this my husband took me to A&E & Dr's decided to admit me to see consultant. When he saw me he didn't seem to have much idea but decided to get some samples of fluid in swelling on my knee to send off for testing to see if their was any infection. While I was in hospital I had several more bouts of swelling & pain, they put me on morphine which killed the pain. I was discharged after a few days to await an apt for a bone scan & to go back to see consultant after I'd had that done. When I went back to see consultant I was told the samples of fluid they took showed no infection but he wanted me to go for a white cell scan. After all that they still came up with nothing. Consultant then offered to do another knee replacement which I declined for the moment. He then said he'd do keyhole surgery to flush it out & take more samples for testing to check again for infection. This has now come back negative & am now waiting to see consultant again. I've had no more episodes of it ballooning up, I can walk fairly long distances on the flat & go to exercise classes twice a wk but still no further forward. Still stiff & have trouble putting pressure on it to go up & down stairs /hills. I'm worried that all he's going to say is that all he can do is do me another knee replacement. I really don't want this done only as a VERY last resort. Walking is throwing my body out as I'm rolling & getting pain in lower back, hip & upper back. I'm having private massage to help relieve this. Has anyone else suffered similar problems. I'd thought by this time I'd be recovered. I've had my other knee done several yrs ago & that's good. Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

LTKR May 2017 with complications of allergic reaction causing extreme swelling, ended up in wheelchair for 10 months. Swelling did not start to decrease until I started walking with crutches 4 months ago and pool walking. Joint  "moved" like cracking knuckles sometimes and felt painful but as the leg/knee muscles are getting stronger it "catches" less. There are two types of knee replacements that have had enough problems that lawyers advise contacting them as the joint itself has a problem leading to revisions. The moderator probably won't allow naming them but you can probably do a web search for defective knee replacements. Good Luck.

• Posted

Sounds like you're alit worse than me. I don't no what type of knee replacement I had but I'll look up defective joints & find out when I see consultant at end Sept. Thanks. Hope you're on the Rd to recovery now.

• Posted

Hi Laurel I don’t know what knee replacement I had but I will be asking on Friday how r u feeling now! Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi look out for Chico he  has lots of advice and information been a great help to a lot of people he is not a Dr but he has family in the medical profession 

I’m 11 wks Thursday lots of pain and stiffness with burning in the middle of the knee now going down the leg I’m seeing my Dr Friday I’m hoping she may have the answer as to why ! I don’t have a consultant now we did not get on so I discharged my self waiting on a new one stay strong keep positive x

• Posted

Hi I've read a lot of Chico's posts, he talks a lot of sense. I'm just really worried bout going bk to consultant in 3 wks as I think he's just going to offer me another knee replacement. Knowing how painful & how long it takes to fully recover from this I really don't want to go their. I can walk around on the level no problem but because of the way I'm walking due to the knee it's giving me back pain.

I hope you get the pain on your knee sorted out. I wish you a quick recovery with less pain. Good luck on getting a new consultant, they do think they're god sometimes!

• Posted

Hi suziec3 he was so rude to me the first time I saw him he said yes both knees need doing but he was happy to do the right first then 2days later I get a letter saying he needed to see me so I went back and he told me I was obese I said I’m fat not obese he said loose a stone I have I said good for u and as I have screws in my back bad knees I find it hard to exercise I was up set the next day I get a letter saying he would not do it for 5 yrs (this was being done private on the nhs) I was so up set saw my dr the next day I don’t no what he said but I was then given a date and he won’t tell me

I did not see consultant till day 2 he said u need to bend your knee I said I can’t too much pain even the physio had a go at him I was only given paracetamol and codine as I can’t take morphine or tramadol so I took co-codamol I begged them for  Poppy Dean but they would not give it me  Sent home day 3 infection by day 10 large abscess he took some clips out and said how long have u been like this and stuck his finger in the hole I nearly passed out he said u have just been unlucky I could not speak to him I felt like hitting him it’s no wonder I don’t want my other knee done by him 

I hope you or anyone else does not have to  experience the way I was treated x

• Posted

That's really bad, couldn't you have reported him? These consultants sometimes seem to think they're god! What's Poppy Dean? Have you had your other knee done by someone else now. Hope the 1st 1 has recovered now.

• Posted

Sorry it should of said  pethidine 

Yes I need to talk to my dr first 

R u in the uk! Or over sea’s no that was my first I need the left doing but can’t face it it was going to be done st Christmas but I need to leave it till end of next yr as my husband needs major stomach surgery

r u on Facebook I am Kathleen Houghton xx

• Posted

Hi I'm in the UK. Not good you having to wait another Yr, hope your t knee holds out that long. I tried to look you up on fb but theirs loads of Kathleen Houghton's, popular name lol. I'll try & private message you my fb name, if I can find out where to do it.

• Posted

Can't find how to private message. I'm Su e Cole on fb. I'm sitting down in a long black & white dress. I'm from Colchester, Essex.

• Posted

Hi I’m in a pic with my husband we both have glasses on I think I have dark hair I’m light grey now out of a bottle 😂😂 looking forward to talking to u xx

• Posted

It’s Kathleen Houghton I’m with Terry with blond hair we both have glasses on re look or try terry Houghton he could be on his own with the Marriott hotel LA in the back ground xx
    • Posted

I see a chiropractor every two weeks because my right knee (which needs to be replaced) causes an uneven gait=lower back pain. My LTKR is my one good leg now, but it took me 16 months to recover. Good Luck for healing!
  • Posted

suziec3, the problems that i have with my knee after TKR pales into insignificance compared with yourself. Wish i could pass on some medical advice to help you through your bad times, all i can do is wish you all the best for the future, let me know if symptoms improve
    • Posted

Thanks. Doubt they will tho. Been having some private massage treatment as my knees Bern throwing out my hip & back & giving me alot of pain. After my 3rd session & telling him my hip was still giving me alit of pain, he consentrated treatment in that area & told me it was skeletal, prob arthritis. Great news, not exactly a joint that can b replaced as it's not actually the hip but part of a triangular one that comes down from the spine. Obviously I'd need an x Ray to confirm that so back to the Dr's again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.