LTKR - struggling!

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hey all,

I had my LTKR on 23rd January and got home on the Sunday evening.

I am struggling to bend my knee to the 90degree angle when sitting down, it feels like it can only go so far and feels like it may break.

I can't lift my leg off the floor when sitting down.

With the bed exercises, I just cannot get my leg up off the bed, with the towel underneath, and I am feeling very depressed and frustrated.

Want to see if anyone else feels the same and if this is normal?

Thanks very much.

xx

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

please do not become discouraged. my tkr was Dec 3rd. I still have some swelling and pain when I walk. I go to 4-1/2 hours of PT a week and do exercises at home. patients at PT have told me that 8 weeks is still early in the game. I never thought it would be this difficult. I had a manipulation under anesthesia performed on Jan 14th with no positive results and didn't begin to drive until week 6. right now I am only at 95 ROM but still working to improve. some days its very discouraging. just trying to stay positive. I think we all improve at different speeds. best wishes.

• Posted

please dont worry! 90 degrees is great for this early!!! Dont push yourself at PT! ICE to keep swelling down and rest!!

• Posted

I can't even get near to the 90 degrees, when i got home from the hospital it was 70 degrees and cant get much past that at the moment.

• Posted

Don't be so worried, girl :>)--it is very early days yet! This is a tough recovery and it definitely takes time. Do try to get into formal physical therapy as soon as possible. Not only will they give you appropriate exercises that will help you with bending and strengthening and change them as you progress, they will also provide massage that will help with pain and also making movement easier.

As far as lifting your leg to get in and out of bed, my PT gave me this neat trick, if you have a cane. Hook the curved end of the cane under your foot while you hold the bottom of the stick, and use that as a lever to move the leg.

Hang in there!

• Posted

the cane is a great idea!! I was told to use a mens belt....make a loop at the buckle end...put your foot thru loop and lift leg up with strap. no pain involved in doing this. pretty soon you'll be doing this on yr own.

• Posted

Yes, the cane is nice because it is stiff so there is no "jiggling" of the sore leg. It was life-changing when my PT showed me this!

• Posted

hi there is no reason to be worried as its very early days and its a brutal surgery. i had my left tkr march 8th last year and it took me 7 weeks to get it to 60 and two muas later i still havnt got it to 90 the most i can get it to is 80 however i have lymphodemia so my legs swell up. my daughter is a physio and she says to get it 90 in the first 3 or 4 weeks is a great achievement and quite rare. so please dont worry to much it will happen in good time. your body needs time to readjust . this is a fab forum for support and advice so your in the right place. take care xxx

• Posted

be kind to yourself its very early days. try sliding your leg with a carrier bag under your heel, this will help your foot slide. make sure you take your pain relief. Use your other leg to hood under your operated leg to assist with moving it. also use a dressing gown belt under your foot yo assist with moving it. sit in your bed with legs down and try bending a bit more each day. look at CHICO MARX advise, its best you can have. physio asap. good luck

• Posted

You are doing very well and it's very early days you will get over 90 degree in time, i have. Yes it seems we are not the only ones to feel depressed, it is normal, dont push yourself it does take time, keep on with the mediation, this should help with the exercises. and yes do be kind to yourself

• Posted

Hi early days yet don't want to push your knee take it gently slowly and soon you'll be able to lift it a little. I know it seems like a dead leg and feels like it'll never get better but believe me it does. Takes time lots of patience but Don't let it get you down. Got to crawl before you walk I know what it's like mine was done 10months ago and although a wee bit stiff at times pain-free and I walk fine waiting to get my other knee done In 4 weeks so speaks for itself. It will improve remember to rest ice elevate and meds. Good luck x

• Posted

hi, i had the same . i had my RTKR done last may, i had alot of swelling and weeping at the top of scar could not do the bed excercises lifting the leg up was like that for a couple of weeks, but then suddenly i could do it.... keep doing what you can and it will come. i think i turned a corner over xmas i dont get so much swellng in the ankle now at end of day snd can bed straighten and lift leg .saw consultant last week and he was pleased with what i could do considering the first few weeks were a nightmare, he did say that the swelling and bruising can take upto 2 years to go which i still have and the numbness my not completley go

i still do the chair and bed excercises plus 2 walks a day with the dog and a cross trainer during the day at work (im lucky with an understanding biss

hope this helps

xx

• Posted

Goodness me, I do feel for you both. RA is a terribly debilitating illness. You're both doing brilliantly. I don't know how you do it, but, like many illnesses/diseases, there isn't a choice really, is there? Wishing you both the best possible outcomes.

• Posted

Hi it will come as its very early days yet just do what you can with the swelling pain just make sure u ice it n pain killers took me 2/3 wks to lift my leg but you will get there in the end. Good luck and just take each day as it comes.💗xx

• Posted

I am just over three months from TRKR (October 30) and two weeks from MUA (Jan 16). I celebrated my 39th birthday just after the surgery, which was a result of 22 years dealing with seronegative spondyloarthropathy diagnosed in 1997. I, too, had a hip replacement in 2005, as well as have lost my eye from the chronic uvetits related to this disease. This surgery is unreal in its pain and endurance, namely because it reveals other issues interrelated to years of inflammation. For example, I have two distinct contractures due to being at a 30 degree bend for 20 years. The surgeon not only replaced the joint, but also debrided masses of scar tissue and stretched ligaments, etc. That have not been straight in so long; these caused the most pain. Here are my suggestions for (eventual) peace:

1. get a cryotherapy machine. The absolute essential in pain management and reducing inflammation
    2. heating pads on calf and thigh while icing will help
    3. A535 or Voltaren, etc. On muscles
    4. (eventually) electroacupuncture for nerve stimulation to have your quads 're-learn' how to work. This combats atrophy, contractures, and has helped me tremendously in slowly gaining ROM (substantially post MUA)
    5. acupuncture for pain management and relaxation
    6. Active Release Massage
    7. TENS for pain and NMES to combat quad lag
    8. Meditation. Apps for meditation and sleep help tremendously.
    9. Stay hydrated! Your body is healing

So many other suggestions, but most importantly well wishes in that you can do this 😃

• Posted

Hi worried girl early days but in a few months time you'll look back and say pain what pain. It's definitely worth it 10 months since my left one and now 4 weeks and I'll get my right knee done. At the time of my first I was adamant no no no never again but hey there time heals. Thus tine I'm more prepared hit the ice ready weights ready bike is already set up I try and do between 5/10 km a day so determined will succeed and by the summer will be fine for my holiday in Mallorca so chin up keep exercising but listen to your knee at all times. Good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.