Lumbar puncture headache

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good afternoon. Two days ago I had a lumbar puncture performed by my neurologist. Procedure itself went off without a hitch. About an hour later I started having a really bad headache in the back of my head. It mostly went away when I laid down. I understand this is not uncommon. I was told to lay down, drink plenty of fluids, and take caffeine.

Friday night I woke up in middle of the middle of the night in absolute agony - worst pain I ever felt in my life. Pain was shooting down the back of my neck into both of my arms. This lasted for about a half hour. Thankfully it eased up and I managed to fall asleep again.

Saturday morning I felt somewhat better ( was able to stand up and go to the bathroom for the first time without pain), but by mid afternoon, I had to remain entirely in bed to avoid really bad headaches. Saturday night again I had a brief bout of insane pain.

Sunday morning I felt well enough to actually take a shower, but again by mid afternoon, I find myself back in bed again, unable to stand up for more than a few seconds. The whole time I have been taking Tylenol and caffeine, which doesn't seem to be helping much. Each time I think I'm getting better, I end up relapsing.

My neurologist said that if I don't feel better by Sunday night, I should consider going back to the emergency room, though she cautioned they're not going to run to do a blood patch so quickly.

Is this something that can resolve itself on its own? I really would rather not have to go back to the hospital, but I don't know how much longer I can handle this pain.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i don't have any experience but can i ask why you had a lumbar puncture

• Posted

I had a lumber puncture and suffered for about 2-3 weeks after. First week I had chronic pain in my back, unable to sit up without feeling light headed and in absolute agony. I couldn't even roll over in bed without needing help. The second week I had the worst headaches, known as low pressure headaches from the lumber puncture. The third week I had a lot of pressure and discomfort in my head. I was taking ear drops, nose sprays, codeine, paracetamol, anything to help. After a lot of time, I started to feel normal. Lumber punctures aren't pleasant and it will take a while for you to feel 100% again. Give it time. Rest, eat well and take every day as it comes, everyday I felt different. I felt ok and then the next day I felt awful. It was very frustrating. You'll get a lot of weird aches and pains in your body from it. It's taken me overall a month to feel ok again. Just take it easy.

• Posted

Thanks. I ended up having a blood patch on Monday, which, unfortunately, only helped a bit. At least I'm able to stand now for short periods of time. Hoping this goes away soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.