lumbar puncture procedure - headache still after 3 weeks

Posted , 45 users are following.

Hi

I've seen a couple of posts regarding this and wanted to see if anyone had clear advice on what my next step would be.

A summary of my story is;

I had a lumbar puncture 3 weeks ago (nearly 4 now) to test for meningitis. It came back clear and my other symptoms have improved but since the procedure I'm suffering from a severe headache and it's something completely different to any headache I've had before. I have dizziness, vomiting, extreme pain behind my eyes and top of my head, I get really hot and it feels like my ears are going to pop. The only relief is lying down. I can stand for short periods but the severe headaches come back. I've been back to the hospital 4 times now, I've been refused a blood patch as they've advised it was too late to do this procedure. The headache appeared around an hour after the procedure. The top of my neck gets really stiff and achy too. I don't usually get headaches.

I was readmitted back to the hospital and put on an IV saline drip and also paracetamol via a drip too. I had been given 50mg of Sumatriptan which has helped slightly. I've also been put on oxygen and aspirin in hospital too.

My symptoms are improving very slightly but I'm still unable to work. I've been off work now for a month and really need to get back to work as I can't afford to be off. I also have summer plans coming up that I need to be fit and well for. I'm struggling to get back to normal as twice ive tried to walk the shop and ended up vomiting and being in severe pain.

I've been referred to a neurologist as the hospital are useless and advised that they don't know what's wrong as if it was a post lumbar headache it should have gone by now. I think it is still a post lumbar headache. I've tried caffeine too. I do have a low bmi and it says online that it's common to have this side effect of the treatment.

Can anyone advise what was helpful, ive seen someone mention botox - does that need to go into your spine? I'm prepared to do absolutely anything to get back to normal.

Thanks in advance for any response on your experience that you can provide

0 likes, 125 replies

125 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How long did it take for you to recover fully because my girlfriend is having The same exact symptoms as you had?

• Posted

I had mine 3 weeks ago Tuesday just gone and I am definitely feeling better but not 100% the main thing I can advise is drink lots of caffeine!!
    • Posted

Hi Hannah, how are you now? I'm at Day 7 post lumbar puncture. Much better than days 1-4 but really tired of not being able to do much! I'm thinking about just getting the blood patch to speed up healing (hopefully). Did you ever get the blood patch? If not, how long in total did it take you to heal? Do you feel that you've fully recovered? I'm worried about long lasting effects (continued slow leak of csf)

• Posted

Hi guys, has anyone experienced this after a c section? I had. A spinal then ended up with a spinal head ache

Refused blood patch due to risks but now 11 weeks in I've got extreme dizziness and feeling sick

I've had MRI and ct scans done and all normal I'm petrified I'm going to be like this forever and now on anti depressants

I have a 4 year old son and an 11 week old baby's

I'm so so scared

Please help ...

• Posted

I had same procedure in October last year ain't been same since at neuroglist tomorrow

• Posted

Same here it's just not fair I'm so fed up now and on anti depressants because of it

Are you dizzy all of the time and fuzzy headed?

Are u on meds?

• Posted

I was on amtrypline for the headaches. But I had a bad time on them.since then I had pain stabbing burning on left side of head. I'm off to neuroglist tomorrow. Ain't leaving till get it sorted

• Posted

I'm sure you will be ok.go back to doctors if you not any better. U should not have to put up with it. Hope you sort it out soon best of luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Cheers u too

I've had MRI and ct privately and in NHS by nurologist then referred to ent who basically said he don't know what to do!

I've asked him for a nerve test as I think they damaged my nerves after putting a hole in my spinal fluid and I've also got a meeting with head anethiatist at the hospital on Tuesday

I've explored every avenue but still not getting answers and I'm just so scared

I'm on amitriptylin too and this week diazepam which helps a great deal at least I can half function but the docs won't prescribe any more than a weeks worth

I get burning sensations from my neck into my head and from my bottom right down to my feet

They've deffo damaged something

• Posted

I think u might be right there. Cause I wasn't this ill before I had lumber puncture. I tell them that tomorrow. I sometimes feel I'm having a stroke

• Posted

Do u get burning on left side of head and dizziness
  • Posted

I just had a baby 2 days ago, after epidural I've had this brutal headache in my neck/head, I got the blood patch done yesterday at 3 pm, I thought I was cured right after like they said I would. All night it was great! Today I woke up and gradually it just came back and I'm right back to just laying down, 😢 crying , cant even help take care of my own children. Found this discussion and now it feels so hopeless.. Soooo nothing gonna fix this huh?! Just weeks and weeks and hope.... Not good.. 😢

• Posted

I get burning through roghy through my body it makes me so angry all of this

Yes I can't look after my children too

The hospitals are refusing to say it's anything to do with them

I was a fit healthy lady before this and now I'm a sad depressed lady

Who is so scared

• Posted

I dont understand why they wouldn't do the blood patch to you 11weeks ago ?!, when they already done the damage in the first place... Its scaring me as well, just knowing this could last months. 😢

• Posted

If they told me it'll go in a few months then I'd take that but I could be like this for life which is terrifying me

I'm on maternity but bk in October at this rate I'd never be able to work again

• Posted

That would seriously suck, I have to go back to work in June, thats in 8 weeks. This better be resolved way before then..

I'm sure you've tried everything to make it go away too huh?! My friend was pretty much giving me a deep tissue pressure point massage in my neck, behind my ears and it helped a lot.. but of course it hurts again now.. =/

• Posted

Yes I've tried absolutely everything

Cranial therapy too which like u haleped at first but now nothing

I'm at the end of my tether and I'm so friggin scared

How on earth can they do this to us and not take responsibility for it

I think it's woes as they can't physically see our illness whereas if we had a broken leg it's Ben much easier to diagnose

Life is just so poo when it should Ben the best time of my life

I've waited 15 years for my 2 boys, both ivf and now I'm like this

I hate the person I've become and I hate the man who did this to me

• Posted

Just do the blood patch*

I think my neck pain went away after the second blood patch last night, when I was rushed to emergency room with extremely high blood pressure and the pain was just too much to handle.

I say just do it!

• Posted

I just had my son on Friday, only been 4 days! I couldn't imagine going on with the pain for as long as you . 😢

Two blood patches since Saturday and hopeful the second one worked!

• Posted

How cOme u had 2? Did the first one go wrong? Or just didn't work? How long before you know it works

• Posted

The first failed, after 12 hours the pain was so much worse. Had to do the second one and was told to lay down for 24 hours straight. Woke up this morning, still got pains in my back in between my shoulder blades, not as much in my neck but I have a feeling its gonna come back =/

so here I am Day 6 after giving birth to my son.

• Posted

Oh Hun I feel for you this is horrendous

I totally understand

I was admitted on 2 separate occasions after giving birth

This is why I refused it in the first place but now wishing I had it as dizziness is so unpleasant

Are you feeling dizzy?? And will they do it again if this hadn't worked

I'm praying for you that it will and you can be a proper mummy like you wish to be it's so unfair

• Posted

My blood pressure went super high so they admitted me for 5 days thinking it was some kind of preeclampsia thing, they didn't realize the pain in my neck was so bad that it made my blood pressure high, so they filled my lungs with fluid (unnecessary) and I had to stay there for 5 days . went home with the same pain I went there with and no pain relief =/.

But I drank Lipton Tea (2 packets at a time) for 2 mornings and called my stupid doctors office for some pain meds and one morning I woke up with No pain..

So I guess since I was admitted, all I did was lay flat, with either NO pillow or the flattest pillow and I guess it just sealed back up.

So after two blood patches and laying flat as possible for days and days, caffeine might have helped and 14 days the pain has stopped.

Still recommend getting the blood patch.

• Posted

Would you say if you was me to get it? My head is battered with "shall I Sharnt I"

The hospital have left it up to me

I'm worried about the long term effects (if any) if I don't get it

But now I'm 14 weeks post partum so would it still work?

• Posted

14 weeks with the spinal headache is unimaginable =/

I would have gotten the blood patch so long ago because all they do is take ur own blood and put it in the hole where ur epidural is and it is supposed to help clot and seal the hole. It doesn't hurt at all, easier than epidural itself and maybe since I got two in a two week span it pushed for a sooner recovery.

I have spoken with so many ladies that it happened to and they all went from a day of pain up to months of pain, but the blood patch helped all of them* so yes I would say do it*

• Posted

I've been on diazepam and that's taken the dizziness away so I've stopped them to see how I am

My neck is still very sore and pins and needles in my arm

The lights in shops hurt my eyes but I'm just trying to cope with it all

The headache has gone but my ears hurt now and again

I'm just so scared of getting it done incase it makes me feel worse

• Posted

They've offered me the patch a week today

I'm. Petrified , will I need complete bed rest after it, how long was it before u felt normal after having it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.