Lumbar spinal fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Dad is 89 and also is close to end stage renal failure. He has a fractured lower spine present since 2009 and a few subsequent falls. Very very stooped which I read is carecteristic of osteoperosis in the elderly.

He had an x ray today with gp follow up next week. I am wondering if they will offer any kind of tratment for this given other circumstances ?

Does it get progressively worse and could Dad struggle to walk at all in time?  He has been in very bad pain with it when he gets up or down or into or out of bed.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

sorry can't see how to edit my typos
  • Posted

I feel so sorry for your Dad, who is 7 yrs. older than me.  I am very impressed with his medics that they are investigating his back problems, particularly in view of (a) his other prognosis and (b) his age so it isn't always the case that they don't bother when you are old.  However, I am just wondering whether, apart from painkillers, any other suggestions they may come up with, such as maybe physiotherapy, might be more distressing for him than the back problem he has lived with for the last 6 years. One thing's pretty certain, I can't imagine they'd offer him any surgery on his back. I'll be interested to know what they decide.  
    • Posted

Hi Sylvia

Thanks for your reply- to be honest you have echoed my own thoughts and expectations but I am curious to hear any other views or suggestions.

I am worried it may progress to the extent of taking away his limited mobility and ability to transfer independently fro bed to chair ect . What do you think? Is this likely?

• Posted

I have no idea I'm afraid Carol.  Has his mobility got noticeably worse in the last few months?  As for transferring from his bed to his chair, etc., I would guess ultimately that will  become more difficult. Few things get better at our age! Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, bad backs are responsible for a lot of pain to people of all ages, including my 55 yr. old daughter and myself.  We should all probably have continued to walk on all fours in the first place! Sorry, not funny but you know what I mean. We do put a lot of strain on our backs over the years and these days, sitting at a computer for hours isn't helping. Mine's worse if I sit too long and also in bed. Sorry I can't say anything to cheer you up but maybe the medics will prescribe some better painkillers. I found Paracetamol of little use and so am now on Co-Codamol, which are a mixture of Codeine & Paracetamol I think and a bit better, although I still get pain to some extent.  The side effects of codeine then mean you must either eat lots of fruit & veggies or take Lactulose - I choose the fruit etc.  I don't need to spell it out do I? smile

I hope you get more useful suggestions from other people - sorry I can't help.

• Posted

Hi Sylvia

Thanks again for responding. Yes all fours sounds a great idea so long as we get a spare set of hands at the same time, Personally I find just the two are never enough!

Dad is already on CoCodamal plus an extra Codeine but will only take them early morning and before bed. He does nothing in between except sit in his chair and he says it doesn't hiurt when he isn't moving so I can't persuade him to take more pain killers. He has been prescribed some Macrogol in case of constipation which is a sachet you mix with water.

Sorry to hear your daughter is suffering at such a young age. A friend of mine has been told she had Spinal Stenosis and slipped discs which could put her in a wheelchair at any time in the future and she is only 49 or 50.

• Posted

Sorry your dad is suffering it must be so debilitating for him. Has your father got any carers to help him with bathing and eating etc?

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth no just me- I gave up working full time and now care for Dad. He can just about manage to dress alone but takes an hour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.