Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a MRI done and it shows i have spinal stenosis and herniated disc between S-1 and L-5 and L5 and L4. I have lower back pain, pain out through my hips and down my legs and into my feet. I have numbness and weakness in my legs and feet. My left leg gives out on me quite often. I can't hold my bowels. My doctor sent me for a EMG nerve test on my legs.The report from the EMG states that I don't have a lot of numbness or weakness in my legs. The doctor doesn't seem to believe what i am telling him and don't want to do anything to help me. I am tire of living with this pain, all they want to do is shove pain pills down your throat. I had injection and got no relief from them. The orthapedic i was seeing is supposed to be one of the best doctors in the state. I would like to know how accurate is a EMG? If these EMGs are accurate then why do i have so much weakness and numbness in my legs? The orthapedic sent me for a colonoscopy to make sure it wasn't something else causing my bowel problem. The colonoscopy come back ok, no problems. The Gastro doctor says its from the pinch nerve in the lower back casing the bowel problem and if they don't go in and fix it, it can cause permanent nerve damage. I told my orthapedic what the gastro doctor said but, he don't think that is the problem.  So where do i go from here? My insurance won't pay unless i have a referal from my family doctor and they won't give me another referral. Can anyone help lead me in the right direction here in central Pennsylvania?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You go to a neurosurgeon...period.  Stop with the other docs, pills and shots.  The only way you'll get rid of the stenosis permanently is through a neurosurgeon.  Have him/her do a CT/Myelogram WITH contrast...the gold standard for spine tests.  If you truly have foraminal stenosis at L4/L5/S1, you have some choices.

- A laminectomy...but I don't think it works for stenosis.  Worked for me when I had a bone spur at L4.  Quick op, immediate recovery, no rehab.

- TLIF fusion.  They go through your back and do the two-level fusion. Rails and screws.  Lots of hospital and rehab time.  My back was a "junkyard" (doc's word).  Fused L3 through S1.

- LLIF fusion.  This one DEFINITELY works for stenosis.  Had it done two months ago.  Unlike the TLIF, they get to the spine through your SIDE (lateral).  Search YouTube for "globus lateral" for a cute animation.  Walking and climbing stairs as soon as I woke up with zero stenosis pain.  Residual nerve pain for a few weeks because they retract the nerve roots.  Overnight hospital stay, immediate relief, zero rehab.  Pic attached; you can see the LLIF device above my old TLIF fusion.  Incredible technology.  Neuro can do this one or two level at the same time.

Hope this helps...

PS: There may be other ops for stenosis...I don't know them.

• Posted

I agree with Chico. Get a neurosurgeon . I had similar symptoms in 2013 and I had a decompression surgery for the spinal stenosis . An MRI will also show Spinal stenosis . But what I am very surprised about is that when you're losing control of your bowels and bladder they usually do emergency surgery (caudal equinal syndrome ) . I'm guessing it's not that or they would've done that surgery right away but possibly the nerve is pinched a little bit . Bottom line is get a neurosurgeon .

Good luck! With the right treatment you will get better ! Hang in there.

• Posted

Get yourself to a neurosurgeon asap we are not talking about toothache here and I know from experience. There is no other pain like it anything that hinders or damages the function of our spinal chords has to be given top priority, as I truly believe we are then just one accident or stumble away from being wheelchair bound or worse still not around to moan about being in pain! 

I know from years of struggling to get professionals to listen and take me seriously and to get to the point of surgery being booked and pre-op done to be told that all operations and spinal procedures were being vetoed by Shropshire CCG owing to costs, well my question is what price do you put on quality of life! 😡

• Posted

Can't get the doc to take you seriously about your bowels?  Make an appointment and then take a dump on the doctor's floor.  Let's see how he handles THAT reality!!!

• Posted

Hi Chico, I do get a warning when i am going to have a bowel movement, i just can't hold it. when i get the feeling to go, its coming out before i get to the bathroom. I told the Dr. he didn't really say anything. I took your advice and i am going to see a neuro surgeon this Thursday in Pittsburgh (June 22). Tanks for the advice, best of luck you and hope you have great recovery

• Posted

When you have that kind of incontinence, it can come from nerve involvement anywhere from L4 through S2.  Neuro needs the imaging; you need a clear diagnosis.  Good luck...
  • Posted

I agree you should see a neurosurgeon. As others have stated it is common instructions to go to the ER if you are experiencing your symptoms plus the loose bowel control. So, maybe it would be worth a four hour plus ER visit to get your doctors’ attention. The ER might even give you instructions to follow up with a neurosurgeon. (Take your MRI and EMG results with you to the ER.)  Only you know the true extent of your symptoms and it is up to you to follow through with common sense action. Pills do not make sense with your symptoms.

As to your question regarding the EMG tests: I googled in herniated discs and EMG tests. They are limited and influenced by the placement of your disc bulges.   Good luck. You are not alone but one of many seeking help and good care. 

• Posted

Hi sorry again for the pains you are going through and the lack of attentiveness from the medical team.

Sure your pains and numbness have been gradually getting worst?? I’d suggest you go in for a traction therapy (DETENSOR) system. It consists of a traction bed system and a therapy mat for intensive traction treatment. It of great relief from pain and cost effective, talk about it with your family physician and I’m sure you’d get a great response from this therapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.