Lumbar spine injections

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone had lumbar steroid injections ? I’ve got a chronic injury to lower back L4/L5 disc tear. Had a flare up and had a lot of lower back pain over the past week. I have been offered the injections for the second time , think I am going ahead with them this time, pain is easing now with physio but I want to go ahead with the injections anyway as back pain is so frequent . Would like to know anyones experiences of the injections and how effective they are 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yup...no joy.  Turned out to be a bone spur literally crushing my sciatic nerve root at L4.  Simple decompressive laminectomy of L4 through S1 plus the spur removal.  Pain gone instantly; residual nerve pain gone in a week.  I don't do those shots.  Very temporary relief if any at all for me.  When my neurosurgeon knows the cause, I have him fix it...permanently. 

• Posted

I've had 2 neither of which worked. Although I don't have back pain just sciatic pain in calf and ankle. 

My surgeon told me 70% success rate and quite favourable results with leg pain.

Unfortunately I fell into 30% unsuccessful.

• Posted

Hello mine is lower back pain . No pain from knees down . I heard my disc rip . Absolute agony . I’m a little worried the injections will make it worse or cause a new pain . Physio does help it to ease . 
    • Posted

I assume you've had an MRI and your doctors explained any benefits you might get from the injection? 

My consultant radiologist told me that i may feel increased pain for a couple of days after the local had worn off then should get any effective improvement after 5-7 days. The risks are minimal compared to surgery. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't suggest it if he didn't feel it may be beneficial. 

Although sounds to me like the physio is working. Have you discussed the injection with your PT?

• Posted

Do you have a definitive diagnosis?  MRI may find it, else, the "gold standard" test for the spine is a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  Gotta know what you're dealing with.

• Posted

I had 2 injections, one worked really good, one was no help

• Posted

Hi, I have had a lumber nerve block almost 3 months ago due to lumber issues.

I was unable to sit due to pain in my buttocks and legs, I had the injection in my lumber region almost between my buttocks (made my eyes water).

Unfortunately the results are not positive and I still cannot sit down and for some reason my sciatica has increased.

My next step is a spinal stimulator.

• Posted

Have you read the link in my post above?  Your problem could be #4 from my history.
  • Posted

Hello there ...   

?No doubt about it .... GO  AHEAD with the injections  ....   I have been having this treatment regularly every 6 months; they are AMAZING though they only work for approx. 2 months for me ....  but I can at least rely on that short span of sweet relief before the crippling pain returns .. usually with biting vengeance!

Hope this helps ....    

• Posted

I had 2 sets of these injections approx 4 months apart in 2013. Only recently have mild sciatica symptoms returned. At the time i had leg pain and couldn't feel left foot. Very little back pain at all. 1st set worked for about a month, 2nd lot for 5 years. Back a bit sore for 24hrs afterwards and worked within a week. Would have them again if bad enough. Was on amitryptilline + Naproxen + tramadol. Now occasional ibuprofen. Physio did not work for me at all - made back pain worse.

• Edited

I tryed few years back.. Not bad.. But i try to avoid any injections in my body.. I significally reduce pain with Acuraflex cream from Nutrilago.. It works for me.. Always have one at home...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.