Lumbar spine surgery / decompression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Post November 2018:- Almost 5 weeks on:- Post Decompression + Foraminotomy Surgery [no fusion] for Lumbar Stenosis.. This was carried out by a top neurosurgeon who deals predominantly with"Complex Spine" problems in the UK

I have Still got some leg pain but now much better, however now i have terrible lower back + tail bone pain , i did not have this pain prior to surgery i only had leg pain. i am now getting quite worried about this & the success of this surgery.

i am finding difficult to walk any distance due to this LOWER BACK Pain which i did not have before the surgery, so the pain is now much much worse than before the surgery, there is a good improvement in the leg pain, but i now cannot walk [ dont want to walk] due to the lower back pain which is much worse than the leg pain i had prior to surgery.

I am hoping some one who has had this surgery can reassure me that it will get better...right now i am regretting having had the surgery.

Greebo64 a moment ago

7 Months on post lumbar decompression [no fusion] still in a lot of pain, both buttocks & thighs also right calf pain, i cant even sit comfortable now, i have had no improvement at all in pain levels in fact somewhat worse than before the surgery, this is what i feared & i wished now i had never had it done...

previous post above

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i am really sorry to hear this. I had a TLIF, so slightly different surgery. i was better than i was, as i would have ended up in a wheelchair, but I will have to have a 2nd operation, ad i have disc d generation at a third level. but, I was informed that it can take over a year for nerve to reknit, therefore repair and thus fir pain to change. However, it would be wise, i think for you to find out if there is s mechanical (bone and tissue) reason ad yo why you are now experiencing much more pain and in different and more areas. "True. Back pain is difficult to treat" , but there aee reasons for pain and it would help you to know what is going on. have you gone back for your follow up, spoken your your GP or surgeon? They normally do a follow up x-ray, or in my case did another MRI which proved I needed further surgery. They wanted to avoid the 3rd level to give me more movement, but I do have similar to you; such pain and it leads to collapse. If you have mechanical problems, further surgery may be needed for success in the end, or, the nerves may knit and heal, or, the pain can be managed without fear of collapse. I hope something is helpful.

• Posted

My Pain is not so much back pain, its all buttock & leg Pain, had an MRI 3 weeks ago but right now only had the report sent to my GP, he says it does not give much info as to if there is anything wrong but its only the report not the actual Scan images, i am waiting for an appointment with a different neurosurgeon...lets see what he has to say...maybe more fobbing off..hope not though

• Posted

Hi, Yes, likewise. I get horrendous radial pain down my legs and buttock pain too. It is so hideous at times, I almost faint, so hence the second surgery coming. There must be some signs on the MRI as to why you have the problems? The neurosurgeon should be able to shed some light on it. GP's are not qualified to comment on MRI's really, I don;t think. I hope that you don't get fobbed of.

• Posted

5 weeks after surgery I was still wanting to stay in bed. The doctor said if you have pain going into surgery, you will have pain after surgery. I hope you get better. it does take time.

• Posted

Its been 7 months not 7 weeks since the surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.