Lumbar Stenosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been very healthy and physical most of my adult life.  Early on I was a runner then degenerated to distance cycling which I did for many years.  Of course, along with it came the bicycle falls I,paid no attention to.  I was more worried if my expensive bike was ok.  Then came remodeling my homes in my spare time, lifting and carrying too much weight as well as ladder falls.  Then came the hard work helping my friend  build his home in my late 50’s.  My career was as a Psychologist and that was easy on me.

I retired to Spain at 60 and bought a place in the Pyrenees where for three years I rode my road bicycle in the mountains daily.  Then came this weekend in Pampalona where I started having trouble walking sreadly when not drinking wine.  After about a year I was diagnosed with Cervical and Lumbar stenosis and was kicked off my road bicycle.  I had C4&5 fusión but to this day my left hand remains slightly numb.  I also got off the private healthcare and got on the State plan here in Spain.

I have been seeing a neurosurgeon in the public system when he has an appointment.  The funny thing is that he was the same doc who operated on my cervical spine privately.  I started having worsening back pain and after more tests, he noted my multi level Lumbar Stenosis.  Well, it got so bad that I paid him out of pocket for a consult and he recommended a process called Radiofrequency Ablation which killed the severe pain now for 9 months but I can feel it creeping back.  

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

W asn’t finished and pushed the post button.  Oops, my bad.  

Anyway, what non surgical processes can I engage to alleviate the pain?

PT?

exercises?  Which ones?

swimming (already about five hours a week!)

help! 

My status on this forum is from a hip replacement I had in December.  

Thanks in advance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.