Lumbare puncture after effect

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a lumbar puncture the monday just gone and since then I've not been able to walk, had severe headaches to the point where I ended up back in hospital over night, I have terrible neck and back pain to go with it all. This is my first Lumbar puncture, it's my 2nd successful one. They did warn me about some after effects, but never did I imagine it would be this bad, I had none of this after my first one...just curious to know if anyone knew how long this pain will last, when I will be up doing things for myself? Getting unbearable now..

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that's supposed to say 'this isn't my first'

• Posted

Hi there,

It varies from person to person as you know. Definitely stay hyrated! I felt ill for 10 days. I visited the ER afterwards as well and was given fluids and pain meds. Hang in there...it will get better!

• Posted

I should have mentioned that I had had two in the past with no issues. So, the third was definitely not what I expected! Yuck!

• Posted

They gave me fluids and alot of pain Meds, nothing seemed to help. Wasn't sure if it was normal to still be feeling like this, but reading through alot of these, it's clear that alot of people have the same/simular issues when it comes to these lumbar punctures. Fingers crossed this pain doesn't last too much longer, thankyou for the advice!

• Posted

They usually go away in the first 7-10 days but could take longer. However, you can go to the ER and get an epidural blood patch that should fix it pretty much immediately.
  • Posted

Hi shez I had my first lumber puncture in September. It was a nightmare I had terrible headaches after,.I suffer from headache as it is this made it worse. My neck was killing me and I ended up in hospital for 4 nights. My neck pain as now gone but still get headaches which I'm taking amtrypline for.I feel lot better and I'm sure you will to .if you still no better in a week go back doctors. Good luck and happy xmas

• Posted

I suffered with headaches before the lumbar puncture, but nothing compared to what I'm dealing with now. I went to the doctors yesterday and they gave me co-codimol which seems too be taking the edge off a little. Praying this pain doesn't last too much longer or I will be back to the doctors. Thankyou for the advice, best of luck to you. Happy Christmas!

• Posted

So sorry to hear about that.. I didn't have a bad reaction afterwards apart from I haven't walked for 2 years since I had a bad lumbar puncture performed by an unsupervised Junior Doctor.

Please let us know when/if you can walk again I wouldn't wish what's happened to myself on anyone so I really hope you'll be able to walk again xx

• Posted

So sorry about your experience. The reason I couldn't walk was because I couldn't be in an upright position sitting or standing because my headache, neck and back pain was so severe felt like I was dying, sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Still in alot of pain at the moment but is slowly getting better, thanks for the message, best of luck to you. X

• Posted

Hi I had a l.p. on Wednesday and ever since then I have never been so poorly in all my life my brain feels like it's been stamped on and i keep being sick and every time I stand up for 2 mins I almost pass out will this headache ever go away

• Posted

Hi, I've only just seen this sorry. Hope your pain isn't this bad still, at the time it does feel like the pain will never go away. I never felt anything like it in my life. But it does start to die down after a few weeks, I can walk properly, I still have headaches but nothing as bad as this time. Hope your feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.