Lumbo/Sacral pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. In the past I was diagnosed with a problem Lumbo/Sacral joint. I experience pain in the joint and more recently have experienced pain in the lower (floating) ribs. Now if I bend forward from the waist I get immediate pain in the L/S joint. If I bend backwards there is no problem. (Does this rule out Facet joint problems?) At one time anti-inflamatories would work well and keep the pain at bay for many weeks/months. Unfortunately now the pills only work briefly and the problem returns. Is there anything naturally  I can do  (exercises etc) to relieve the problem. Any advice, help would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stu. Patricia here. Nice to meet you. Wow, I am an Orthopaedic RN across the pond and with the symptoms you describe I cannot even hazzard a guess. You did not state what your L/S problem was diagnosed as.

The sacrum is the lower end of the spine with the lumbar region above it. I was fairly confident that you are experiencing L5-S1 problems that would cause pain upon sitting, but the floating rib pain and pain upon bending forward that resolves when you bend backward has me baffled. Do you mind my asking you age? And if you have any underlying medical problems that might be impacting your issue? In any case, you probably need to see your family physician who will order an MRI and refer you to a neurosurgeon and/orOrthopedic surgeon for a definite diagnosis and course of action.

I am sorry that I wasn't able to offer much info. My issue was lumbar stenosis and a disc prolapse@L4-L5. Once I had a Laminectomy and fusion, the pressure was off of the nerves, 100% of the pain was relieved and I no longer fear falling to the ground w/o warning. Good luck and please keep in touch...this is a wonderful support forum.

• Posted

Patricia, 

I have just read your mail and I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions. How long are you post op? Were you pain free straight away or did it happen over a period of time. What physio/ excercise did you do?

I ask this as I had laminectomies and fusion of L3-S1 at end of November and am just wondering how someone else's recovery is.

hope you continue to keep well

Shaunagh

• Posted

Hi Shaunagh,

I will do my best to answer your questions but keep in mind that there are many variables and no two people heal exactly the same. My surgery was Nov 11th so I am slightly more than 3 months post-op, and my procedure was a modified single level procedure whereas yours was multi-level and probably not the modified version (explained to me as smaller incision with less muscle, tendon ligament involvement).

That being said, I had immediate pain relief because the disc had been removed and no longer pressed on the sciatic nerves.

After a 4 day hospital stay I was sent home on standard spinal precautions (BLT) no bending, no lifting, no twisting. For the first 2 weeks I was not to sit at all but I could walk inside my home as much as I pleased. After I saw the surgeon at 2 weeks, I could sit for no more than 10 minutes at a time every 2 hrs or so and I could walk outside to build my tolerance levels back. All the while observing BLT. At 6 wks I could drive short distances. I found a swivel seat for my car to help me get in and out on WalMart for less than $25.00 US. I saw the surgeon at 8

weeks when MRI and Xrays were repeated. I was told that I could begin swimming and light weight exercise for the legs at 3 months.

I think that your restrictions would have to be more entailed than mi

• Posted

Hi Patricia. Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. Difficult to know where to start. I am 65 years young :-)  I was diagnosed in Australia 2002 following a CT scan as having multiple disc bulges, nil focal (whatever that means) I was referred to a very good physiotherapist who focused on exercising the Psoas muscles which I have been doing lately and I can safely say I now have the best Psoas muscles about town. But the good news is that whereas at one time I experienced sciatica and tingling in the feet I no longer have this problem.  

More recently I saw an Osteopath in the UK for treatment and exercises, but the low level pain never seems to go away and more lately it seems to have become chronic. I guess the next step would be to see a physician and take it from there.

My own guess is that not only do I have problems with the L5-S1 joint, but maybe complications with costocondritis or subluxation of the floating ribs. I have always lead an active life and find it very difficult  now to take things easy.

Any replies or advice would be appreciated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.