Lump feeling throat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys got a feeling of a lump in my throat. Makes me feel like burping all the time I’ve had camera down nose ct scan X-ray and all clear. This is driving me crazy as I suffer from anxiety panic. It’s really effecting my life and I think most docs now think I’m just making it up. Does any one know what it could be ??

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I developed this  this summer and I agree with you, very annoying.  Mine happened after an intense esophageal spasm rom over eating......It was a terribleness squeezing pain, I went to er thinking it was heart, but have had all tests to rule it out and so doctors feel it is gerd.......the lump sensation comes and goes.....and fro what's I am learning it can be a sign of silent reflux......I too suffer from anxiety and one doctor suggested anxiety can cause it too......I am going to go for a modified barium swallow test where they look at the functioning of my throat...then go from there.....if that comes back clear, then I will have them check the esophagus and stomach.......I never had any of this before....

• Posted

I’ve had the barium swallow and came back clear. The ENT seem to be stumped now I seem to be asking them to do things, I’m eating and drinking fine it feels like it’s outside  pushing into my throat. I’m loosing sleep with this also and driving my anxiety out the roof
    • Posted

Hello Linda, I have similar symptoms to you but worse. I’m on a liquid based purée diet, and even that is hard. It started from choking and vomiting violently causing blood I’m having an endoscopy...doctors things it anxiety I’m going nuts!! It’s affecting me so much especially at a young age (16 years) I’ve had ct scans barium swallows layrngoscopy. Could I ask what a modified barium swallow and is it the same as a usual barium swallow?

• Posted

Hi there.....your symptoms sound worse and I hope they get to the bottom of it. I have had anxiety cor over 20 years since I was a teenager and it has always effected my digestive tract.....indigestion, irritable bowels and nausea.....this silent reflux is something new and out of the ordinary for me....but I do know it seems worse if I am over tired or stressed. A modified barium swallow test looks more at the throat and is done with a speech pathologist in the room. They look for abnormalities in the throat and see how the muscles in the throat are functioing. Seeing that is where I feel most of the issue I wanted to start there.
  • Posted

The interesting thing is when I sleep mine doesn't bother me, it is more bothersome when I am up and walking around.....I can eat fine too and in fact if it's gets really bad I find eating or drinking water soothes it for a bit......I am researching to see if a muscular skeletal problem can cause this, as I suffer from back pain, lower, upper and neck pain....and I question if there is weakness somewhere.  I have been to physiotherapist  where we worked on some strengthening exercises, which did help, but I stopped them to lack of time and it is back.....wouldn't it be nice if there was a source one answer without having to go for all the not so peasant testing.   I keep praying for a miracle that it will just disappear and become a thing of the past. My doctor said that if the bariumswallow test comes back normal, she may order MRI on my head to see if there is a issue with the central nervous system that may be causing it, being I have nerve pain and muscle twitches as well.   It could all fall back on anxiety as stress and anxiety can make your body do a lot of interesting things.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I have the same thing! Like there is something in my throat! Had the endoscope up my nose also! They tell me nothings in there! I just went to dr yesterday for same thing and feeling horrible! He told me same crap! It’s gerd and aniexty! I’m having a consult to have an endoscope down my throat into my esophagus and stomach! That is my next step! Have they ever mentioned that to you or have you had one? I know what you mean about Drs thinking your making it up! It’s real! Maybe ask if you can have an endoscope to look at your esophagus and stomach done if you haven’t had one! Good Luck with finding someone to help you it’s been a long journey for me!

• Posted

Had a letter off the ENT today and i cant believe it my next appointment is April sad Unbelievable. So now i suffer for another 14 weeks . Went to gp and they are asking me what i want doing ????? Really ? I told them im not a Doctor and they should be telling me what 's next. 

• Posted

I have been told that too! I thought someone with a medical degree should be the one guiding us! I had my consult Friday! I am having an endoscope on Tues. the 3rd! I am hoping they find something! Not anything tragic, but something that can be fixed! Even if this is gerd and aniexty there has to be something they can do to help! Living like this is absolutely crazy! I guess what it comes down to is you have to tell them what you want done! Sometimes I think they don’t care! After all they feel fine! I’m beginning to lose faith in the medical system! It is crazy you have to wait so long to get in! Wish you well! 
    • Posted

I agree Diane! This problem has hit me at the age of 16 and it is so debilitating! Seeing other people my age going out having fun makes me so depressed! On top of that doctors aren’t really bothered and the ENT doctor said to me “go home you are fine there is nothing wrong” it’s funny how many people don’t want to find out there’s something there but I wish there would be something physical there so they can fix it! 
    • Posted

hiba,

I feel sorry for you! You are so young to have this problem! I know what you mean I had 2 ENTs tell me you have gerd! They didn’t see anything in my throat! I am going for an endoscope to look at my esophagus and stomach! Have they told you it is gerd/aniexty? That’s what they are trying to tell me! Did they give you any medication to try to see if that would help you at all! I wish you all the best and hope you find someone to help you!

• Posted

Hello Diane,

It started with feeling nauseous in the mornings and vomiting bile with strains of blood in it. I would ignore it and continue on with my day. There was no problem with my swallowing however, I was choking more on my food than I ever was. This vomiting happened over 3 years.  I've seen numerous doctors + ENT and they've told me it's probably anxiety since there wouldn't be any problems after choking, which I do agree but its the way I reacted to the choking by forceful vomiting. The ENT wrote on my report that I have a "significant amount of mucus" but I dont really know what that means since the doctor never really adressed the mucus. Yes, they did tell me its anxiety and GERD.I've stopped taking omeprazole after 3 weeks of use because it didn't seem to relieve my discomfort in swallowing only to relieve my heartburn. So I have stopped taking it. I am now awaiting an appointment from the GI for an endoscopy.  

• Posted

hilba,

I have a lot of mucus also! I hope you can get in for an endoscope soon! Maybe they can find something! Have they given you anything for your aniexty? I’m trying to be patient with this but it is getting annoying! Hang in there hopefully they will find out what is going on! Good Luck! 

• Posted

Just wondering if any of you have actually been diagnosed with silent acid reflux.  ENT did the scope through my nose and said my throat was mildly inflamed and it was due to acid reflux.  I also experience hoarseness and sinus trouble a lot.  She prescribed me Omeprazole which I haven't started yet as I am concerned about the side effects (fractures and never being able to get off of it.)  I am trying Zantac, acid reducing diet, proving bed up, etc., but doesn't seem to help.  I also have anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.