Lump in my throat and dull pain on right side after GERD attack on Sunday

Posted , 5 users are following.

On Sunday I was working at the computer and had terrible acid. The burning pain was awful. I've had these "attacks" in the past, usually after too much alcohol. If I burped I could taste the acid.

After the acid went away I was left with a lump feeling in the right side of my throat. It almost feels like the lump you feel with swollen glands except the feeling is coming from under my Adam's apple.

When I swollow I feel the lump feeling and then a very small dull ache. If I turn my head to the left and swallow it's more noticable. If I put my head down to my chest and swollow there's no feeling.

Coughing, sneezing and breathing in deep also causes the feeling to appear. Burping does too, except the feeling comes after I burp. Almost feels as if gas goes back down again.

I'm not sure if it's muscular or not. I prod around the area on my neck all day and can't feel any lumps or bumps. Nothing swollen. If I push on my eusophegus under my Adam's apple I feel some discomfort. I also did some exercise Saturday that would affect that area (pullups, pressups, and shoulder shurgs with a 40kg kettle ball).

I have no issues eating food and it doesn't cause any discomfort when eating. I drink a couple of beers of a night, and have done for a long time. I should stop doing that.

Anyone got any insight into this? Have you had the same problem in the past?

Is it even possible for acid to cause these issues?

Got appointment in 2 weeks with my doctor.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes reflux can cause this feeling, but so too can anxiety - its called Globus sensation, its very unpleasant and very common
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I had read about this, but nothing mentioned the dull ache when swallowing. It's really bugging me now because I wake up in the morning hoping it's gone, then as soon as I swallow it's back. It ruins the entire. I just don't get why food and water don't produce the feeling either. The human body is annoying at time ha ha.

Many thanks though.

• Posted

Probably got an inflamed eusophegus from a hr acid reflux it will take time to heal so be careful what you eat and don't dink snythjng to hot or eat spicy foods try gaviscon advanced

• Posted

I think this was the case. After a week there's no more pain. Very very slight pain when I lift my head right back but aside from that it's gone.

I crapped myself. I thought I had throat cancer or something. Damn anxiety!

• Posted

I know exactly what your going through I have had this lump in my throats now for 13 months and doctors haven't got a clue

• Posted

It's awful isnt it, sometimes it's so suffocating

• Posted

Do you have any dull ache that happens with it? I've still got it this morning, I was kinda hoping I'd wake up and it'd be a bit better. Still the same. Lifting my head upwards causes it, as does sneezing, blowing my nose etc. So frustrating, I just want it to go sad

• Posted

I get like a burning sensation on the left side the the lump follows eating and sleeping helps my doctor said it was silent reflux but my consultant said there is no such thing as silent reflux he said the doctor doesn't know what he is talking a out although there is a chance it's globus syndrome

• Posted

I have the same situation last quarter of 2015 until first quarter of last year. It was rerrible. I experienced all that you've experienced. However, I am thankful that I am fully fine now. Thanks be to God. It is called silent reflux still under GERD. I went through a lot or a few to say the least. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound in my organs in the abdomen because there were times the pain is traveling around those areas in my abdomen and it was all because of that gas or acid that traveling or spreading around my abdomen. My back where my lungs is very painful, both my eyes were painful as if like a gas is coming out there. I feel like I am always choke in my neck as if something is stuck in my throat and my doctor had me to have a test for thyroid to make sure I have no thyroid problems or whatever. They found a lump in my throat but they can't tell it is a thyroid. I feel like acid is coming up in my throat every after eating, can hardly breathe or sleep in low level, need to put loads of pillow at night in my head to elevate. They founf out I have hernia in my the stomach it is in the opening valve bet. My stomach and esophagus passage causing the acid to relfux up to my throat. I ended up having ulcers or blisters at the back of the throat, i think you call it in the oropharynx or in my laryngopharynx. It was really awful. But I am fully fine now except if I skip meal or eating not on time it appears. I had a massive switch with my eating habit and lifestyle, trust me. I felt like dying and hopeless that time, but thanks be to God, I am quite well now. I applied tons and tons of methods, a matter of experimenting if which works on me and what's not. We have different triggers that calls this acid to flare up. You have to figure out what is yours amd make a switch on your eating habit and lifestyle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.