Lump in throat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

For the last 2 years I've had what felt like a lot of extra mucous in my throat, a horrible constant lump that won't shift. I've had all kind of tests and scopes and theres nothing there. It's been horrible. Lately my gp thinks I may have coeliac as I've been anaemic a few times lately and some stomach problems on ocassion. I'm waiting to have the blood test, but in the meantime I thought id cut out wheat for a while. Well a few days in and the lump and feeling of mucous is gone! Just wanted to check if this has been a problem for other sufferers?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I tend to get mucus when I eat it among with other stuff...
    • Posted

Thanks for that, I'm glad I've found out what it is,just wish it hadn't taken 2 years of suffering with it to find out!

• Posted

Hi,

oh yes, I had tests for something lodged in my throat and was diagnosed with 'a slow swallow'!! :D I also, kept having my eyes tested as I couldn't see properly, not to mention the hyperventilating, shaking, falling over, confusion......the list is endless. Gluten slowly poisons Coeliacs. I honestly think I would have died if it had continued much longer. 

I now follow a FODMAP diet which is very restrictive but at last (after 2 years) I am finally feeling well.

I hope you are sorted out very soon.

Best wishes

Lyn smile

• Posted

Thanks for that, all sounds so familiar! Does the blood tests do a good job of diagnosing it? My docs need things to be easy, they really aren't the best!

• Posted

Everyone has different symptoms, so it's certainly possible. One thing which is vital though, if you are having a test for coeliac disease (blood test or endoscopy) you MUST continue to eat wheat and gluten, otherwise your body will not produce the antibodies which are necessary to detect it. I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you this. You need to eat gluten on a daily basis for at least 6 weeks before the test.  Also, blood tests are not as reliable as endoscopies with biopsies taken.

• Posted

Just seen my doc today to discuss it, they weren't aware that I had realised wheat was causing the throat problem until today. I only realised last week myself. Yeah she said I need to go back on whewt before the tests, only 2-3 weeks though, not 6. Well if the bloods don't show anything I'll just continue with the diet, no endoscopy for me, they attempted it years ago and apparently my gag reflex is too strong so they couldn't do it, even under sedation and they won't knock people out for it as it's too risky so I'll need to forgo that

• Posted

Under the circumstances I agree, you certainly wouldn't want an endoscopy! I think you will know for sure if you have a problem with wheat, when you start eating it again - although it maybe a wheat allergy, rather than coeliac disease; either way, you wouldn't want to continue eating it. By the way, coeliac uk recommend you eat it for 6 weeks prior to testing not 3; they are the charity that advise doctors and other health care staff). If, once you start eating again, you notice your lump coming back, or any breathing difficulties, get immediate medical help. Obviously, I don't want to alarm you, but there's a risk of anaphylactic shock with allergies.  Hope it all works out for you. 

• Posted

I think the dr is thinking only 2 weeks because i havent 100% stopped wheat, i only reduced it for a few days to see if it made a difference, which it did - so i havent fully stopped yet.  Well i guess ive had it for 2 years and as horrible as its been, im still here, so hopefully thatll continue until i get the tests lol
  • Posted

No; GPs are totally clueless regarding Coeliac Disease and they have no pharmaceutical incentives to find out!My GP gave me antidepressants and when I got more ill suggested upping the dose! There are no magic pills for us that claim to cure all so no-one is interested.....'Just go away and don't eat gluten'......if only life were that simple. For most of us who have suffered for years before diagnosis even when we give up gluten our insides have been destroyed by it and there is a legacy of attributable illness.

My original blood test came back negative (the doctor forgot to mention I needed to eat a gluten rich diet for at least 6 weeks before testing and by then I was eating very little)and the doctor told me I didn't have Coeliac. I continued to be ill and grew weaker and weaker and was eventually referred to a gastroenterlogist. As luck would have it I ended up needing to go to a major teaching hospital to see one and finally I found someone who not only understood but knew what to do.

I'd already had endoscopy (both ends!!) and so he gave me genetic testing (they don't like to -it's expensive) and he called to say I was a 'text book case of Coeliac and the test verified this'. I was actually happy....to be diagnosed with a life changing disease......happy to know I wasn't going mad.....dying.....

It was the start of a long road to recovery and 2 +years on I really do feel almost there. I have IBS and a very weak immune system and cannot tollerate many foods including dairy. I need a lot of rest and to live very healthily but it's worth it. Don't be fobbed off and educate yourself.....

.Best wishes 

Lyn smile

• Posted

Jeez you've had bad experiences, sadly I can recognise it too, my drs really have let me down with this. I'd be relieved at a diagnosis too, it would explain a lot!

• Posted

HI All

i was diagnosed with Coeliac back in July 2015, and changed my diet, no wheat, gluten, barley etc, as my body was not absorbing vitamin D, which I needed as i have the start of osteoporosis in my lower back, but i did not suffer from stomach cramps or anything else, so i am following the diet, however i have had a cough which lasts for about 10-15 minutes every morning which results in coughing up mucus, and then i'm fine all day, but no solution can be found by the Dr's, i have also now developed a lump in my throat which started about April last year, so Dr's don't know what this is either, all a bit of a mystery too, any suggestions.

• Posted

Hi hope your well, I'm just curious to your stomach problems as I've had a funny belly last few weeks and have low iron levels too, just wondered what yours were and if now sorted and also did u have any weight loss smile thanks

• Posted

Hi, my stomach is fine, i have no problems now, but if I eat oats it gives me stomach cramps, i have lost weight since doing the gluten free diet, hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.