Lump in throat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've been going through some very traumatic times recently and my aniexty has been through the roof. I've encountered gastric problems the last few months and last week I have developed a lump in my throat that comes and goes. The stress of it has caused me to stop eating and I'm only taking on liquids at the moment. My doctor thinks it's something called globus sensation  and I do burp a lot and acid seems to rise to the top of my throat. I'm terrified it's oesophagus cancer 😣 I also have a terrible chest infection at the minute which is producing lots of mucus.  I'm 25 and I do smoke. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

I have indeed had this problem and so has a relative of mine. It is linked to stress and anxiety. In fact a book I read on depression had a chapter on this and they called it the ‘throat monster’!

On this Patient site there is a very good blog from Chippy12 from a year or so back that is very interesting to read and could be very helpful to you.

It will eventually go but it is a physical symptom of a mental state.

I wish you all the very best 

• Posted

Hi Sam:

Start doing Meditation to calm your parasympathetic nervous system. Basically, sit for twenty minutes 2 times a day and breathe. 

Set your phone on a timer. Just sit and breathe whether you have words floating in your head or not. Or if you think you can not practice meditation do this. Look on youtube for help with meditation.

You need to calm your vagus nerve which flows through the whole lower esophagus. 

• Posted

Super Book, that changed my life: Meditation Handbook - Mindfulness Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm (he is a great character on youtube also) 

I suffer from Anxiety too. It recently dawned on me that it might be because I love life so much, rather than fear it - the fear of not appreciating it. There are plenty of people out there that don't care so much about their life. Maybe we are lucky... N x

• Posted

Hi Samantha, I'm not a doctor but it could be LPR ,  if so your need to be an anti acid medication and diet helps too, hope you get sorted soon! Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.