Lump in throat, Acid Reflux and Asthma??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've now got the same ailment as a lot of you here. Ive not been to the Drs yet, going on Tuesday (or maybe tomorrow).. Don't really like the sound of these PPI's.. Kind of hoping it will go away on its own if I don't eat big portions and don't eat late at night..

On Sunday, I had a really big Roast Dinner meal, late on at night, then went to bed.. Idiotic I know.. I'm sure it even started after I was finishing off the Stuffing, I'd had the same big meal the Sunday before, which didn't help.. Then I got the lump in throat thing, I even tried sticking my finger down to see if it was trapped food or something.. The only time, I've ever felt anything like this was when I used Marijuana with my ex, I once could feel food actually moving down my gullet.. This feels similar to that..

I used to get Heartburn in my late teens, I lived on an unhealthy diet of Egg and Chips because I was poor.. But I stopped eating Deep-Fried foods that much.. (I now eat Oven Chips and things that can be baked.) Sadly, I love Cheese, Chocolate, Onions, Meat.. But I can cut down on eating those things, especially reduce portion size and stop eating late at night.. And then laying down too soon..

I just started taking Fluoxetine about a month ago, I don't know if a side-effect of that is Acid Reflux.. But I also use Steroid Inhalers for Asthma and I've been trying to use the inhalers more because my Nurse told me too as I'm naughty and don't use them unless I need too.. Anyway, these things are anti-inflammatorys and for the past few days of using them a lot, my sinuses and nasal cavities have felt inflamed, like I'm allergic to them, this was before the gullet thing.. And kind of at the same time. Last night was horrendous as my Asthma was bad because it was cold, my nose was either stuffed or inflamed, I kept sneezing, and I had this blumming lump in the throat thing with the belching.. And a bit of acid reflux but not much.. I could hardly breathe and Ive found myself yawning a lot, even though I'm not really tired.. I managed to get to sleep eventually and felt better in the morning though the lump is still there..

Could Asthma inhalers have helped to cause this in some way?

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to read that you think you have AR but this forum will definitely support and hopefully help you overcome all that it entails.
    • Posted

Thank you.. I'm now worried that it's a reaction to the Anti-Depressant I'm on (Fluoxetine) or like a reaction to my Inhalers or a combination of them all! 
    • Posted

hevski are you sure you need to be on Fluoxetine !. I ask because when my problems started my GP also prescribed that to me as i was getting over emotional when I was describing the awfil way I was feeling. I imagined I had MND, Parkinsons etc but it was only when I sat down and thought about it that I realised that the only anxiety I had was not knowing what my problems were. So I went back and told him this and he immediately took me off those tablets and diagnosed me as having AR. So just make sure you really need to take it.
    • Posted

I was on the Anti-Depressants before I had this issue, I'm taking them because of low mood and feeling depressed..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.