lump in throat and discomfort

Posted , 5 users are following.

It seems the anxious lump in the throat seems really common, but do others notice that during these times that you just don't want to eat, even drinking seems really uncomfortable? Almost as if you might choke?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

yes i know that feeling well, i can chew food nut cant swallow it, a few weeks ago i got it in my head i would choke if i swallowed it, mot nice at all

• Posted

It's horrible,  as soon as I go to eat or drink I get a bit of panic, which totally escalates the whole thing, don't know how to break the cycle this time 
    • Posted

i spent the past few weeks like that, its settled  now tho, try and eat when someone is there you trust, its not nice i know, i think i was contolling my food intake because it was the only thing i could controll

• Posted

Trust me it will stop .its the nerves in your neck muscel doing it there's nothing there honest.My husband sister and a friend had it yes it is a common thing I agree it's truly uncomfortable when you've got it you swallow even more,eat less to.Stress does it every time.in time you will find its just stopped without you knowing it,it's gone as fast as it came weird how are minds can do this and it does x
    • Posted

thanks so much everyone, thats really helpful - tryin to not let me health anxiety make it part of the story so hard!
    • Posted

Thanks for asking this question.  Yes, yes and yes to all that you have going on.  I"m there too.  Food can also have no taste to it, but I know that it is a vital part of releasing the anxiety.  I keep telling myself that with every bite, there is healing going to happen.  Stay hydrated too.  I"ve noticed that is helping some.  Keep hanging in there.  You are not alone.
  • Posted

I've been worrying about the idea of worrying about choking lately lol, which is stupid cause I'm not worried about choking but I'm worried I will start worrying about it and have to purée my foods or something! Lol. 

I can understand why you don't wanna eat when you have a lump in your throat, it seems quite logical but when I had a lump before I felt like I wanted to eat as i was unaware it was anxiety so I thought if I ate or drank it might push out the lump! 

Hope your feeling okay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.