Lump in throat and sudden shortage of breath, please help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

About 2 weeks ago i started feeling a lump in my throught, i still feels the same and it makes me feel like vomiting or choking, something it makes me dizzy and i always want to drink water. I have recently been eating less food than before on dinner but i still feel like vomiting. When i'm at school or out with friends or family i feel alright, but at about 7-8pm i start feeling the lump sometimes i open my Ps4 to play and i forget about it but as soon as i close it, the feeling returns and it is really uncomfortable. Now the lump still comes but it doesn't bother me like before, but now for the past 2 days i started suffering from a shortage of breath, it lasts for a  short time, then i regain the ability to breath, but it keeps on bothering me. I feel t's hard to breath either at night or after i play football games. Please help! (i'm 15 years old).

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hazem

I send you all my best wishes for your condition, it could be a kind of health anxiety, but I'm no expert.  I see you are only 15, I think it would be good to see your gp to expalin how you feel and maybe get some re-assurance and maybe have him/her take a look at your throat.  Keep posting on here as there are lots of good people with more experience than me in this field.  I will follow your post and chip in when I can.

Love and prayers

xxxxx

• Posted

Do you have any digestion problems? Like heart burn/indigestion? I was having breathing issues and felt like something was stuck in my throat and went to the docs and they said its acid reflux with there is too much acid being produced in good stomach and travelling up your 'pipe'

I have since started medication and things seem to have been settling down

Or is could just be somerhong like anxiety. Could you possibly go to the docs and discuss your symptoms and he can have a chat and point you in the right direction. X

• Posted

No i don't have digestion problems, i've went to a doctor about 5 days ago and he checked my throat and said there's nothing, it's just anxiety and it takes time to forget about it. But it didn't help that much, although the lump im my throat kind of improved i still feel like choking and sudden shortages of breath have come out of no where. sad   

Thanx anyways!

• Posted

It could be a problem with your thyroid. If it continues return to the doctor and ask him if he can do a blood test to eliminiate this.
  • Posted

I had a lump in my throat a few weeks back,it made me a little anxious,but I'd forgotten all about it until I read your post,I can't even remember when it went. You'll find the longer you fret over it the longer it will take to go. When I suffered from anxiety I'd check my neck for lumps that much I'd give myself a sore throat. Your doctors right mate,the fact that you don't feel the lump when your preoccupied only proves to me it's anxiety.
    • Posted

Hope ur fine now, just wanted to ask u if u used to suffer from breathing problems or pain in the chest. Pls answer as soon as possible and thanx!
    • Posted

They're two things I didn't suffer from sorry. My fears were neurological disorders and cancer. I had no fear of having a heart attack,as I was a fairly (still am) fit guy, and careful what I ate. I had no fear of dying,it's how I died that scared me. A long drawn out death scared the living daylight out of me,a quick death didn't (doesn't) bother me.
    • Posted

Hi Hazem.  I don't think Pablowbrown is actually saying he died I think he's trying to say how he would prefer to die! Not too well expressed!
  • Posted

Based on our previous chats in earlier threads, I wholeheartedly agree with this comment made by Pablobrown

"Your doctors right mate,the fact that you don't feel the lump when your preoccupied only proves to me it's anxiety".

It applies to the various symptoms you are, and have, experienced, including the lump, the shortage of breath, the fear of heart-stop, the dizziness, nausea etc. It is more important for your welfare to get to the root cause of the symptoms, rather than focus on the symptoms alone.

• Posted

Hey Hazem

Hope your well.

Yes l had and soemtimes come across lump in throat and anxiety.

I was toldits lifestyle.

So Sit down and write down what you do day to day.

& make some changes,whatever is playing on your mind is effecting you.

i now eat better and dont have swallwing problems.

Im Gonna say it like its is:

Its in your head so make some changes to what your doing and

Get healthy again.

Stay Healthy Brother.

• Posted

Thanx mate but now i don't suffer from the lump anymore, it's more aout pain in my chest and constant breathing problems.
  • Posted

And these symptoms will also pass, just like the lump in your throat has, which a week ago was really scaring you. Now, it's history.

Ask your Dad or your GP if Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) might be a good approach to start with. A really good therapist will teach you some very simple techniques to alter your perception about your physical symptoms. But, as I said before, they can only describe the techniques, give you some 'homework', and the rest is up to you. It's certainly worth asking, as we have ruled out every other alternative, including physical illness.

• Posted

For example now I feel squeezing in my chest aandd can't breathe properly, also I feel squeezing in my throat and dizziness, how can I help it, or forget it.
    • Posted

I have the same problem as hazem had.i have ma final year exams in for last 2 weeks i m feeling lump in ma throat n dyspagea specially eating rice but next tym it is not present n now from 2 days i have dyspnea n v concern cant even concentrate to prepare ma vivas can u help me ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.