lump in throat, vomiting, upper abdominal pain etc

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, looking for people with similar symptoms to see what diagnosis they had. Here goes... I have had symptoms for about 8 years, but seem to be getting worse. I am 34 female. I have had h pylori 3 times! It's has been that painful, I've ended up

In and a and e! My last out was within the last 6 months, but still show all symptoms which makes me think something else is going on. I have upper abdominal pain, mainly centred around the sternum, but can go into the back. I have bad bloating, excessive wind, heartburn/acid reflux,my tummy feels like it wants to rumble but can't, itchy throat, irregular bowel movements .. just lately it seems to be constant whereas it used to come and go. The other night my symptoms worsened - I got the feeling of a lump in my throat and further down the oesophagus near breast bone, my throat was burning with what I assume was acid (which I could feel regurgitating) - it was horrible and painful and resulted in me vomiting. Every time I go to the doctor, I'm brushed off and made to feel like

I'm wasting their time, but it's been 8 years and I've had h pylori 3 times! Do you think I should

Insist on an endoscopy?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello, sorry to hear of your discomfort, I had  similar symptoms and acid coming into my throat a few months ago and a horrid indigestion feeling every morning and sometimes during the night. I had a gastroscopy which showed nothing bad, but now I realise it was acid reflux caused by anxiety due to a  the loss of a close family member, and all my symptoms went once I knew I was ok. I am surprised the Dr hasn't suggested further investigation, I would definitely insist on it, Good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I forgot to say I also had the feeling of a lump in my throat, and couldn't take a deep breath some of the time, i realise now it was getting worse the more I panicked over it,  I practiced slow breathing, in to the count of 5 and out to the count of 3, this worked for me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Yes, Elizabeth - you should definitely insist on endoscopy, or at least referral to a gastroenterologist. If you're in the UK, your doctor can't legally refuse to refer you to a specialist, but in some practices they're concerned about keeping costs down. Insist on being referred, by recorded-delivery letter if necessary. (That will indicate that you're serious!)
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    An Endoscopy would seem to be appropriate, especially since your experience with the symptoms has been occurring for such a long time.

    Anxiety over your medical problems could be relieved to some extent with an endoscopy.

    Although acid reflux symptoms can be reduced from Rx drugs like Dexilant, it seems your situation may be more complex. Don't give up your pursuit for  correct diagnoses.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up