Lump in throats and constant throat clearing.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello anyone who is willing to listen...

About 8 weeks a go I chocked on a huge tablet and it felt like it got stuck. Went to a and e and had a chest X-ray and throat X-ray and camera down my nose- all fine and no problems. Since then I have a constant feeling of a lump in my throat- sometimes it feels hard, sometimes it feels soft and sometimes it tastes bitter. I feel like I have to constantly swallow it down but it comes back throughout the day. I am constantly coughing and clearing my throat and swallowing all day. My throat feels very strained and my mouth is always dry. - despite drinking loads of water. When I do swallow I instantly gurgle and am always burping. The GP says I have reflux but no reflux meds seem to make any difference with this. I do also have pressure on my chest, stomach pains and gurgles and also flutters in my tummy. I also feel nauseous all the time and that I could gag at any point.

Am I loosing my mind? Has anyone else experienced this??

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It's called.globus and it's very common with reflux and anxiety in general, if reflux meds aren't helping then it points more towards anxiety

• Posted

Thank you- I have recently started counselling so hopefully this will help if it is anxiety.
  • Posted

You're not losing your mind honestly. I totally agree with the other comment but it's difficult to find out whether it is one or the other or possibly both rolleyes. Anxiety can cause the lump in your throat and so can reflux. I get the feeling of food stuck a lot and I think that once you start trying to clear it and keep swallowing, it compounds the problem. You then get anxious and can't get it out of your mind so it becomes a cycle. It's definitely worth trying other meds for reflux and also discussing the anxiety with your doctor. Some people find sucking a sweet helps but you will find it just starts to clear and then you'll stop noticing it in the same way. I really feel for you, it's not nice at all but it does get better x

• Posted

Thank you for the response it's good to know I'm not completely loosing my mind. It really isn't nice and you're right the more I focus on it and keep coughing the worse it feels. I try hard to distract myself and not focus on it

• Posted

I'm having the same feeling in my throat and I get scared and then start having anxiety and I hate it

• Posted

It's a terrible feeling, especially when it becomes long term. The key to diagnosis I think is if you can eat and drink ok, then there's no obstruction, it's the throat muscles becoming tense from anxiety

• Posted

It really is horrible but trying hard to think it will get better and I have to keep trying!
  • Posted

This globus is really getting me down and making me feel like I can't just do normal every day things!!!!

• Posted

Are you going througha particularly stressful time? Have you tried sucking some sweets at all?
    • Posted

I am having severe health anxiety with every little feeling and sensation. Which isn't helped by this constant feeling in my throat as it makes me stress more. Yes I have tired that and seems to help initially

• Posted

Hi there, I just wondered how you were doing? x
    • Posted

I just wanted to see if your symptoms finally went away and if you found out what the cause was? I have been experiencing the same thing and the medication hasn’t helped with the lump or pressure in my breastbone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.