lump near belly button

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a firm lump to the right of my belly button for several months now.  It is more noticeable when I stand up--the normal oval shape of my navel suddenly looks like a bite's been taken out of it as the lump pushes into the belly button area.  Sometimes I feel it just above the belly button, but most times it's just off to the right.  Recently, the whole area just feels very firm and taut compared to the other squishy areas of my abomen :P

During a regular checkup, I asked my doctor about it.  He felt it and said it felt like swelling, probably from surgery.  I did have a laparascopic surgery (done by my ob/gyn) to remove a paraovarian cyst, but that was two years ago.  Four months later, at my next regular checkup (I go every 4 months to monitor blood pressure), I brought it up again but the doctor couldn't feel anything until I stood up and pointed it out (I had been laying on my back when he did the abdominal exam).  He felt the area and said he didn't know what it was.  He said it was most likely a hernia, but he said they usually hurt, and I felt no pain.  It's not bothering me in any way except that I notice it's hard.  So he just told me to keep an eye on it and if it ever hurt, I need to come in and they would probably have to do surgery to remove it.

It's just alarming because sometimes I feel it very easily, and sometimes I have to feel around for it.  Sometimes it feels very firm, and sometimes it's just a hard area.  I haven't figured out the pattern or what makes it the way it is.  I can't tell if it's growing because sometimes it feels small and sometimes it feels like the whole area and then the next day it goes back to being small again.  It's really weird.  But as my doctor didn't seem too concerned, i tried to brush it off, but it still comes back to haunt me whenever I feel it, which I subconsciously do every now and then.  Any idea what it could be?

Background info--I am 44, morbidly obese, have high blood pressure/high choloresterol, and prediabetic.  I have had a laparoscopic surgery 2 years ago, a d&c last year (I do have a uterine fibroid), and a c-section 15 years ago.  I take 2 medications for the cholesterol and high blood pressure.   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi malias

Painful or not I think your doc should refer you for an ultrasound scan to see what this lump is in your abdomen. I would go back abd request an ultrasound even if you have to say it has become painful.....at least you will then know what this lump is after an ultrasound.......best wishes....for a speedy diagnosis......

• Posted

It does sound like an umbilical hernia, if your dr was concerned he would have sent you off tests.

The fact that sometimes it's big, and sometimes it's small, also that you are very overweight, makes it more likely.

I am recovering from a laparoscopy to remove an ovary, four weeks ago, and my belly button is the weirdest shape, still got long lasting stitches in.

So goodness knows what I'll end up with.

If yours starts to bother you, you could go and maybe have the muscle sewn up, if not I wouldn't bother tbh.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your replies!  I did think that if my dr was not concerned, it was okay, but I guess to ease my mind (which does go into dark places) itʻs best to just check it out with an ultrasound to see what it is.  Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.