Lump on head near Temple- MRI's show nothing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been dealing with theses symptoms that have only worsen over the last 3 months. I have seen multiple drs with no answer just tossing meds at me. It started 3 months ago I noticed my temple area was swollen. Its a hard lump, I figured it was a sinus infection and went to urgent care. Urgent care immediately sent me to a neurologist suspecting temporal arteritis. Unfortunately my neurologist was less than worried and blew it off, saying I do not meet the age of temporal arteritis ( I am 31). Over the next few months my symptoms have worsen and gained new ones. Currently I have a lump on the right side it is hard not real moveable, numbness/tingling in my face only on the right side, my body temperature is all over the place ( i am hot then cold or my bodys hot but I have the chills), my right arm hurts constantly, I am bruising all over for no apparent reason, my stomach has been bloated regardless of how much water I drink. I have seen a rheumy, eye surgeon, multiple neuerologist, had 6 mri's with and without contrast, countless CT scans, MRA, emg and have had no answer. I recently went to the ER and had blood work done and my red blood count and mpv was low and my neutrophils were high. I currently am stuck with a referral to another neurologist and an infectious disease dr (one neuro thought it is shingles but antivirals did not touch it). The lump is pain and creates head pain, not a headache but actual pain like I was hit almost. 

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Oh my gosh they need to find out what is going on!!! Have you seen an Allergy-Immunology type doctor?? Like more into vitamins, natural foods, the ph of your body, etc. When all else has failed sometimes they can think of other things that might be going on. I go to a allergy immunology type doctor and he found my thyroid problem, for example, when traditional medicine just kept telling me all was well and the levels were ok.

    Have you seen a naturepath type doctor?  Perhaps they can shed some light on this.

    Gosh! They need to get going on this, someone does. Have they ruled out cyst formation? I had some through some parts a few years ago. The Allergy-immunology doctor had remedies for it.

     I am so sorry you are going through this. I am currently having trouble with my throat and asthma.  High platelet count that they cannot figure out yet.

    Praying for you! God bless you!!

    I hope you can find out what it is so you will have relief!!!

    Temporal arteritis I think is something they were wondering for me a year ago. I am in my 40s.

    Hope you are doing better lindsey12300!!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I am looking online to see if I can find anything out for you!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Neutrophils respond to a bacterial infection, especially pyogenic infections, but can sometimes be caused by other medical conditions, certain drugs, Physical or mental stress and even smoking can cause them to increase.

    According to the internet (Wikipedia)-- Causes. Neutrophils are the primary white blood cells that respond to a bacterial infection, so the most common cause of neutrophilia is a bacterial infection, especially pyogenic infections. Neutrophils are also increased in any acute inflammation, so will be raised after a heart attack, other infarct or burns.

    According to

    If your neutrophil levels are high, your doctor will likely ask about your medical history. Be sure to tell her about any medicines that you are taking. Steroids are especially likely to increase your neutrophil levels. Also let your doctor know if you have been sick recently or if you have been exposed to any other physical or mental stress. Even a strenuous run on the morning of your blood test can cause your neutrophil level to be increased. Being pregnant or having an infection or any type of physical injury can also increase your neutrophil levels. If you smoke, your doctor will likely encourage you to stop.

    f a follow-up blood test continues to show elevated neutrophils, or if your doctor suspects that an underlying condition may be causing your high neutrophil level, she may recommend further tests to better understand why your neutrophil levels are increased. Specific blood tests for various infections, inflammatory conditions, and certain cancers may be ordered.Monitoring And Treating Your High Neutrophils

    If you are diagnosed with an underlying condition that is causing high neutrophil levels, treatment for these conditions will be prescribed, depending on the condition. If your neutrophil levels continue to remain high for no obvious reason, your doctor will likely recommend that you have periodic blood tests to recheck the neutrophil levels.

    But that is not addressing your additional symptoms. I will continue on. Hope you are doing ok!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    This might sound misdirected but have you seen an ENT? Sometimes they're better at detecting things going on with the head than neurologists are only because neurologists tend to focus on neurological disorders dealing with the skeleton and nerves. ENT's look at everything dealing with the head. It's good you're going to an infectious disease doctor because hopefully it's an infection and they just need to determine the right treatment for it. Have you been out of the country recently or traveled anywhere? This might be a good time to look into parasites. Lastly, schedule an appointment with an oncologist/hematologist who have their own type of tests to take an in depth look at what's going on with your blood and bruising. Based on my own history with blood issues and knowing how it affects the skeleton, I'd say you really need to see a hematologist ASAP. Keep us posted!

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up