lump on scrotum

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi, i have had a lump on my scrotum for around 2 months now. i was just wondering what you think this is and how i can treat it. it seems like it could be an STI but im not entirely sure.

thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Dear Johnlock,

It appears you have two scrotal lumps- one larger one at top right corner and a smaller lesion to the left margin of the photo. They are sebaceous (epidermoid) cysts (Google) and are entirely benign in nature. The cysts develop if the sebaceous gland or its duct becomes damaged or blocked. If you want them removed, you will need to have them excised under local. It's a relatively straightforward procedure and some GPs/Family doctors who are trained in minor surgery should be able to carry this out.

Don't bother cutting or pricking the cyst yourself- they are likely to re-form and you may also run the risk of infection.

Rgds,

Adhari.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! This was very informative

• Posted

Do you know if there are any ways to prevent getting them? I think I am fairly prone to getting them but I shower twice a day so I don't think its a cleanliness issue?

Cheers

• Posted

Dear john,

There's no easy way of preventing them. These types of cysts are more common in young and middle-aged men and not in pre-pubertal boys so there's clearly a male predisposition, likely to be related to circulating androgen/testosterone levels. The risk could also be enhanced by exogenous androgenic anabolic steroid (mis)use. Sebaceous cysts can also arise from damage to the hair follicle itself (acne) and rarely from a genetic condition known as Gardner's syndrome.

Adhari.

• Posted

Ive had this little bump on my penis for a few months now, at first it was very small, i thought it was a pimple. i started to tamper with it, pressing it, scratching it, applying tee tree oil to dry it out and in attempting this several times blood came out. it appeared to heal and then it immediately grew back. Now it looks like this, i hope its not HPV but honestly i dont know what it is. can someone help? any suggestions?

• Posted

Hello.

Please I have something like this on my scrotum. It scares me that it wouldn't go away even after pressing and stuffs. Still there. 😞😓😓

• Posted

i also have one of these, popped up overnight and its pretty big and painful to the touch, i'm 17 years old and im also a virgin so i wouldnt say its an std, ive had these before and they usually leave after a week or so, i think its some kind if a blocked pore like a pimple or something, but im not a doctor to idk, i wouldnt be to worried about it inless it get bigger or stay longer then i would see a doctor.

• Posted

For anyone struggling with scrotal cysts, I highly recommend going to a cosmetic clinic with a CO2 laser to have them removed. Cosmetic clinics have real doctors that are highly trained for this kind of procedure.

I had a lot of big and small cysts on my scrotum, it was so uncomfortable and effected my confidence a lot. For years I was seeing various GPs and dermatologists, the only thing they offered was incision, which causes a lot of scarring and you can only get 2-3 at a time. The cosmetic clinics on the other hand, using the CO2 laser, could remove 10+ in a single half an hour session. I have had about 4 sessions with them and have nearly none left!

Sharing this because I feel so grateful these services exist, and I want everyone struggling with this condition to know there's real help available!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.