Lump under adam's apple

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone recently I've had this strange sensation in the back of my throat like something is always stuck there

Today I have noticed that directly under my adams apple is what feels like a lump a second adams apple so to speak, is this normal? I've never really sat and felt my neck so I wouldn't know if it has always been there or not and I don't know whether I should be worried or not sad

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello James:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease and I have 3 nodules also.

An Endocrinologist can feel the thyroid gland and then order an Ultrasound and that can pick up any nodules or cysts and show the size of the gland.

Many of us get thyroid nodules and the majority of them are not cancerous but it is wise to have an ultrasound to rule out any problems and if needed a Fine Needle biopsy.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi shelly

Thank you for replying I'm really struggling at the moment my anxiety isn't helping!

I constantly feel like I have this lump in my throat, I started with stomach pain but that has totally dissappearEd now, I've had several blood tests, chest x ray, abdominal ultrasound that has all come back clear except the ultrasound showed a lot of gas, now I'm just stuck with this horrible feeling in my throat, and I seem to be able to feel my adams apple then like a knobbly bit which I'm guessing is my windpipe or thyroid then there seems to be another lump, not visible to the naked eye jus when I feel it, if there was a nodule would you just be able to see it?!?

I don't want to go back to my doctor I've been so many times I jus feel like I'm talking to a brick wall now sad

• Posted

Hello  James:

Nodules can be seen on an Ultrasound and some cysts can get filled with a cellular fluid and can become noticeable to the naked eye.  What seems to calm it down?  Does drinking HOT water or Hot fluids relax it.

Do you swallow okay?   Do you have GERD?  Acid reflux?  If so try Omeperazole or another one your pharmacy. Sit up 1 hour after eating.

Place old  books under feet of bed to lift  head of bed  or buy a wedge pillow in a bed  store to lift your head.  GERD can make a bad  throat feeling and tissue inside  can be damaged.  You can see an ENT doctor who can place a scope down your throat.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi shelly

Nothing seems to calm it down it literally is jus a constant feeling all day, I don't have a cough or sore throat with it but I do get occasional ear pain but nothing to painful, I seem to be able to Swallow fine no pain or anything sometimes it does feel as if it's getting stuck but not to often

I don't think my anxiety is helping because that's putting me off food and I'm not sleeping at all, I've jus been online so much I think I've convinced myself I have cancer of some sort and got myself into a right mess.

Thanks for replying

• Posted

This morning I woke up and I noticed that the lower part of my neck hurt weirdly. I I realized it was near the Adam’s apple and I decided to go some reasesrch. I felt like it was a little difficult to breathe. I ate kind of a lot of food last night but not too much. I did go through some stress, but it was for an hour all stopped like 4 days ago. What do I do? Should I not go to school, see a doctor?
  • Posted

Hey James did this problem ever end up subsiding ? are you alright now? what helped? I have off and on stiffness  on the right and left side of my neck and a very very small not noticible bump on my throat it feels like...when swallowing things feel like its stuck in my throat 
  • Posted

Hi,

Did you ever find what the problem was? Im currently feeling exactly the same the last 2 months im really worried should i see a doctor? I kindo of feel stupid going the doctor as tbere us no visible lump but i can constantly feel it. What was your outcome please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.