Lump under arm

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 18 years old, and have a lump in my armpit. It came up in late December and I got it checked out by a doctor who said it would just be an infected or inflamed lymph node, or perhaps a cyst. He said if it didn't go away to come back and he'd give me antibiotics incase it was infected. Anyway, it did go away, but last week I noticed it had come back! It's only pea sized, sometimes it's really noticeable and other times you can only feel it if you press down. It moves if you press it, it'll either sink down further or side to side depending on which way you're presing it. Last time when I got it I experienced quite a lot of pain with it (very sharp pain when I pressed it, sometimes when I moved my arm), now there's very mild, dull pain when pressed (unless I do it frequently, then it'll ache for a few hours), and occasionally when I move my arm too far/fast, which can sometimes feel like it goes into my shoulder and breast. At the moment, it's alternated between being quite noticeable and then feeling like it's almost gone. I've heard it can be connected to hormones, I'm on the pill but due my break very soon, I've also heard it can be a result of viral infections. My family have all had coughs and I've had a very (and I do mean very) mild cold, where I've been sneezing a somewhat fair amount, and been waking up with a slightly sore throat and an irritated nose which goes quite fast. I also heard it could be stress/anxiety, my mother was diagnosed with cancer the day it came up, so could it be this?

I've said if I still have it in a week's time I'll book a doctor's appointment, but I'm starting to worry about it!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.