Lumpfeeling in throat below Adams Apple. Struggling with gag/nausea symthoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 22 year old male weightlifter who usually train frequently(before these sympthoms). and i have since 4 months been struggling with a Lumpfeeling in my throat with an anoying gag feeling that makes you feel you want to vomit. It also feels like you lack air when you breath so you try to take deep breaths with the mouth. There is no pain though but it has been so frustrating to live with it, struggling to work just because of the gags. First months i though i had to avoid some food or drinks like coffe and spicy food but that turned out to show no significant changes. I can eat normally and does not actually feel anything blocking when eating or drinking..

I've visited the doctor 4 times, got Omeprazol(for reduced stomach acid, 1 pill per day) first time that i used in 1 month but it Didnt do anything. I've also tried loratadin against allergies and different asthma medicines(buventol) without any help.

"Note that these are medications my doctor wrote for me..." We eventually spoke about anxiety and stress, but IMO i don't think i'm affected as i'm aware. The only thing that has been changes in my life recently is that i have moved town.

I've have been checked if i had any swollen parts on the throat, but everything seemed fine, also checked blood, bloodpressure and oxygen uptake and even these seemed fine. I have felt like an idiot when i have kept contacting the doc for the same problem so many times'.

I have seen many similar forums but the other is never same.

I can't even really find a relevant group because i have no idea what this is as the most common problem seems to be acid reflux but as the medicine Didnt work and i haven't really felt anything wrong with the stomach.

By the way after the first month this disappeared for 2 weeks and came back again. I hope someone out there has any experience of this and can share their story and if you have any solution to this hell.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Very common with stress and anxiety, it won't go away until you deal with the cause of the anxiety. Sadly there is no medication to help, as there's nothing physically wrong

• Posted

Maybe you could try a xanax or Ativan or even a couple of gravol to see if it takes the edge off - or swimming - or actually watching something funny that will make you laugh - laughing can release tension in throat and chest area - if you can get a muscle relaxer and it works - then you will know - or try glass wine?
    • Posted

Is it possible to have it for that long?
    • Posted

If it's linked to anxiety then yes absolutely, it will persist until the anxiety is dealt with. Also once you've started to think about it more, it'll persist all the more

• Posted

Sounds very like my symptoms which are caused by reflux. I can be ok for weeks then have a bad bout of it. Have you had an endoscopy (camera down threat-not as bad as it sounds). That may establish whether u have a hiatus hernia. I have one which I think was brought on my doing gym weights. Sadly no solution. Am on omeprazole which may help but I still get the symptoms, trying other solutions that ppl have mentioned here....watch this space and good luck?
    • Posted

Yeah, i have one appointment late next month where they will go down with a camera(gastroscopy) i think its called. It's an eternity to wait until then though.

I read a bit about hiatus hernia and it actually could be that aswell, as i feel it lump just above the collarbone at the throat which could be caused by lifts apparently, althought i hope it's not that rolleyes.

Although in that case it's weird that the feeling not is constant and can vary all day..

• Posted

Yeah. I've also have thoughts about anxiety or stress. The only thing i'm aware of that im affected by is probably stress. The lifestyle to combine fulltime job which is pretty relaxing( in health care )

and the addiction to always workout when it feels quite okay. And also the anoying overthinking that you always think you have something dangerous in your throat..

Will speak to my doctor again about trying out some new muscle relax meds. I tried out the herb rhodiola rosea to make it heal but without any improvements, i read it could have relaxing effects.

• Posted

I would not buy that as just stress.

What is your dinner & sleeping time, it needs 2 hrs gap to complete digest. The acid comes from indigestion and reversing to one way pipe, if it continous you will have inflammation and lead to damage the esophogues. so you got to work with diet, digestive enzymes and sleep time. 

Drink ginger tea before you sleep it helps.

• Posted

I also have the feeling of a lump in throats, my doctor prescribed me omaprazel or however it is spelled and it hasn't done the trick. I still take it hoping it will get rid of it but it's not working. I have been told it is stress/anxiety related as well. I don't know what is going on and it's super annoying it's there every time I swallow.

• Posted

Yeah, i also took those pills for a few weeks in hope it would help.

I read in another thread about some stretch exercises for your neck you can try that worked for me a bit. Where you stretch your front muscles by looking straight up with closed mouth( may be uncomfortable at first) then after 20 Sec roll to right side and also left Side. Seem to have worked for me a bit. The feeling isn't gone but feels slightly better.

• Posted

That stretch really does help a bit. I don't understand why I wake up in the morning and it's not there but as the day goes on it comes on and doesn't go away. It's like a burning dull pain and lump in my throats feeling.

• Posted

I had that the first 2 months aswell. It was good at the morning and a few hours. Then it got worse during the day and the night was hell. Recently i've had the struggles of feeling it at the morning and less at night.

But today the lumpfeeling is almost gone tbh. Might be because of stretching-exercises no idea.😄

• Posted

My doc said the feeling of lump in threat can actually be slight swelling in the area caused by the acid burns

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.