Lumps near breast and in armpit

Posted , 6 users are following.

I woke up recently with some slight discomfort in my upper right arm...a few days later I woke up with slight discomfort in my armpit. I reached under and felt a lump, right between where my breast ends and my armpit begins. I am FREAKED out. I woke up the next day with another lump (I'm assuming these are enlarged lymphnodes.) But this lump is higher up and in the socket area of my armpit. I did make an appt to see my GP but she can't see me tot 2 weeks, so in the meantime I have given myself full blown anxiety since Google tells me all signs point to cancer. Can anybody relate? I am a 33 year old female.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Myachinback!

Usually, breast cancer does not cause any discomfort or pain or aches. You certainly would not have one mass pop up suddenly, then another the next day. Enlarged lymph nodes do hurt, and will pop up acutely during a viral or bacterial infection.

Breast Cancer grows slowly, and is painfree in the beginning. Infections occur quickly and are painful.

Have you examined your breasts? A breast cancer mass is hard, fixed, immobile, irregular contour, and painless.

A benign mass is mobile, regular contour, can be sometimes sore due to hormonal changes, and change size due to your period.

If you have an infection in your hand, such as an infected finger, you can get swollen and painful lymph nodes in your armspit. If you are nursing, and have mastitis, you can also have swollen lymph nodes in the armpit.

As I have become older, I have learned not to worry about about stuff. Why, you ask?

1. Most stuff never happens!
    2. When stuff happens, it is never as bad as your or my imagination.
    3. You are much stronger than you think you are.

( from a former ICU nurse and Nurse Practitioner who survived attempted murder twice, breast cancer, and two strokes, and is thriving!)

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you, that made me feel a lot better. I have recently had back to back strep and a UTI, along with a nasty cut from my new kitten so I'm thinking and hoping maybe my nodes are working over time to heal me up. I see my doctor next week. Wish me luck!

• Posted

My Achinback!

Please let us know the results of the imaging studies! Insist on imaging studies until you are satisfied! As you are at a higher risk for breast cancer, you definitely need to be up to date on mammograms, and possibly ultrasounds.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Why am I at a higher risk for breast cancer??

• Posted

Phone back to your GP and explain to the receptionist about the lump you have under your armpit, they should then get you in sooner. wish you well

• Posted

Hi there. I called them back and they said I would have to wait it out or my doctor told them to tell me to see about getting into an OBGYN because of the location of the lower node, but when I called the OBGYN they were way booked lol so I will just wait!

• Posted

hello, how did your situation turn out? experiencing something very similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.