Lumpy throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had developed this feeling of not being able to swallow, felt like someone had their hands around my throat. I ended up in the er two nights in a row, which of course they looked T me like I was crazy, more importantly, they told me the night before there was nothing blocking my airway. This situTion bought on panic attacks requiring benzodiazepines, mind you one use then the second never works for me. The feeling is, to me, getting out of control. The nights are the worse, panic runs through my body to the point I feel like I’m going to die of heart failure. The swallowing problem started prior to this thanksgiving and worsened after the holidays. I cannot, for the life of me figure out what brought this on. As I write this I know what bought this on, I am claustrophobic, thanks to an event while on active duty, I was going to have an MRI and had to be given Valium. I thought it didn’t work, but I made it through the MRI but now I have this situation going on that really is debilitating. I don’t think I will be able to tolerate this panicky feel every night, especially since it spilled over into my day at work. I really need help, it is keeping me up a nights and I’m exhausted. HELP. Thank you for reading this. I guess it took my mind of the situation for a moment. Advice is welcome.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I completely understand what you are going through as I'm havibg the same thing. My story is slightly different but I really do hope it will bring you some comfort. I ate a nut and suddenly the room was swimming, felt my heart pounding and my throat started to swell up. I called an ambulance in a panic but cancelled as I felt it was getting better. I then proceeded to have the same thing happen again and again and I literally thought this is it, I'm going to die! I went to the drs the following day as my throat still felt swollen and I was having a panic attack. I was told about globus hystericas and it's identical to what I was feeling. Tests have proved I'm not allergic to nuts so I'm putting it down to stress which I've had a lot of lately. 

This happened 3-4 weeks ago and I suffered panic/ anxiety attacks as a result of the first instance and hated being left alone and constantly felt fearful which was uncontrollable and scary! Like you nights were the worst and mornings too. I have watched a number of videos on YouTube which have helped me greatly. I've learnt that positive thinking and facing the panic attack is honestly the only way forward. When I felt an attack coming I would sit and (try to) relax and tell myself ok I know what this is, my body is fearing this lump, it's NOT going to kill me, I am NOT dying, I WILL beat this. Breath in through your nose and out your mouth, think of something that makes you happy and tell yourself this feeling will pass. Don't allow the panic to take over your thoughts. I am now no longer having the panic atta k although I have little wobbles where I start thinking negatively and I have to stop myself as it can escalate. I really do empathise with you and hope you have some support network around you as I found this was also a key to getting better. You will beat this I promise. Watch the video on YouTube, it's a bald man who tells you to repeat what he's saying whilst tapping your hand and although at first you may feel it's a bit weird trust me it helps! Good luck my lovely. X

• Posted

I've had this sensation multiple times, once for almost two weeks. The first few times were really frightening, but the feeling passed. The best thing to do is to try and relax, and/or do something that takes your mind off it, like playing a video game. It's normally caused by acid re-flux, which irritates the lining of the esophagus and can cause the muscles in your throat to go in spasm. Some people get re-flux only when they are asleep and therefore don't know that they have it. The best advice is to eat/drink nothing (but water) after 8pm, take a ranitidine or omeprazole tablet before bed, and raise the head of your bed up by a few inches - this stops the acid from entering your throat when you are asleep - it works for me.

• Posted

You are not alone,take it easy and find something to distract your thoughts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.