Lung age

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has COPD but has been pretty good recently managing lots of exercise and hasn't had any problems at all! He had his health review today and the nurse said his breathing had improved by 14% on the last visit but the print out (all of which is double dutch to me!) said his lung age was 116 years!!!!!! He is 60! How can anyone know what the lungs of a 116 year old would be like - they would be dead!! He isn't too worried about it but I am! Thanks for any input!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is where the concept of lung age falls short! How many years did he smoke and how many per day? When did he stop?
  • Posted

He started at 15 and gave up last year (so 45 years) - although he smoked fewer than 10 a day for the past 10 years. The note on the bottom of the printout said Moderate obstruction. 
    • Posted

The concept of lung age is useful to try and encourage smokers to stop but after that it has little value that I can see. Tap in 'Step2quit smoking' into Google and you can see the research that studied the use of lung age.
  • Posted

Thank you, I will take a look!
  • Posted

I'd ignore it Ros, that's just some abstract theory, the important thing is the improvement in his breathing, which I find amazing - how did he do it????

Stop worrying and go out & celebrate his improved health!

• Posted

Thanks, I think I will, having gleaned nothing to convince me otherwise from the internet!! Giving up smoking had a major impact, obviously (although he still uses e-cigarettes!) but once the last infection cleared up he gradually built up his exercise routine. He decided he did not want to go to pulmonary rehab but does his own work-out at home. We have an exercise bike and he now cycles for an hour a day and is gradually increasing the resistance. He also walks alot (mainly speed walking up and down the lounge because it is too cold to go out!) and keeps a record using a pedometer. He does lots of sit-ups, press-ups and uses dumb-bells! I am amazed at the difference in him in a couple of months - long may it continue!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.