Lung age reduced from 59 to 37 years by quitting smoking...WOW!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

---THERE IS NO GREATER PLEASURE THAN DOOING WHAT YOU ARE TOLD CAN NOT BE DONE!---

Im a 33 yo male and was told in march of this year that I have COPD, lung age was measured as 59 years with lungs performing at 76% of expected value. I was a heavy smoker from age 14 until 7 weeks ago, so 19 years of heavy smoking, occasional cannabis use and breathing in dust all day at work (im an electrician) had done me no favours!

I was told that if i stopped smoking It would reduce the rapid decline and due to my young age possibly even recover very slightly.

I went back for another spirometory test today and amazed the nurse and my GP. I was told that im no longer in a COPD category and my lungs are functioning at 93% of the expected value for my age! Obviously im over the moon about this!

I have also been excercising as much as possible, at least a 40min brisk walk every day. I still find running or other intense cardio gets me out of breath very quickly but it is no where near as bad as before.

I used to have awful coughing fits in morning and evenings when I smoked and was constantly coughing up flem and clearing my throad about every 20 mins. This has improved drasticaly too. 

I realise that I still have permanant dammage to my lungs but from everything i have read about COPD it seems I have made an astounding recovery in such a short space of time. 

It is genarally said that it is a one way process but PLEASE PLEASE dont give up hope! STOPPING SMOKING HAS MADE SUCH A DIFFERENCE!!

I still puff of ecigs and hopefully one day i can phase them. There is no way i would have stopped smoking without them and belive them to be an amazing tool to quitting. It took a while to get used to them from tobacco but they really are worth a try if you want to quit or cut down.

I have had a lot of anxiety and depressive problems which were made far worse when I found out about my COPD, but I now feel that a huge weight has been taken off me! THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nicely done Nick!! Really happy for you smile

I'm 30 years old smokec for around 15 years and iv been experiencing breathing difficulties over the last 2 years.i quit smoking just over a year ago and iv sadly felt no benefit apart from financially.

Strange thing is iv had 2 X-rays & 4 spirometry tests and all have come back normal which as you can imagine left we very confused.

I'm now in for a full lung function test on the 18th do hopefully get to the bottom of it.

All the best Gaz

• Posted

That does sound strange. The fact that the xrays are ok rules out the possibility of anything terrible i believe, such as fibrosis or cancer. Do you often cough up mucas and need to clear your throat a lot? Or get easily out of breath after excercise? they were the main problems i had. Im sure they will sus out what is happening soon enough. Best of luck to you!
  • Posted

First of all, a big HURRAY for quitting smoking!!  I am so glad to hear your lung function has returned!!  I pray you continue to feel better and live a well life!!!
  • Posted

Congratulations!  I have not been a smoker but suffer lung disease from birth.  But I have heard from smokers throughout my years that smoking is difficult to stop.  You have accomplished something wonderful!  

Best wishes!

• Posted

Congratulations on your success! Hope that all will just be on the up and up from here on out for you! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.