Lung congestion and e-cigs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I gave up smoking almost 2 years ago but the congestion in my lungs seems to be getting a lot worse. My daughter is sure it's because of my e-cig, it's not the pipe kind but the one that resembles a real cigarette. Has anybody had any expreience of this. Also, any good ideas for clearing the congestion? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I don't know much about the e cigs- what does your doctor say?

• Posted

Nothing Rosemary, she just stared at it then changed the subject. Got the same response from one other doctor and the chest clinic nurse.
    • Posted

How frustrating.  I hope you feel better soon.  Let me know. ??🇨🇦

• Posted

What did the doctors say about the congestion? Mine got much worse over a period of 2 years. I thought that it was just a progression of COPD. Turns out I was wrong & I now have bronchiectasis.

It's very hard to say anything definitive about the e-cigs. Doctors aren't certain yet of anything except that these things continue the psychological addiction of the hand-to-mouth-then-inhale routine. Continuing any portion of an addiction is risky, which is why all quit programs talk about slippery slopes. The whole med profession weeps over the topic of e-cigs.

Doctors also are certain of one other thing about e-cigs: users are even more defensive of this habit than we were when we smoked the real thing.

Your daughter is an observant woman who loves you. Something continues to irritate your lungs. Why not try giving up the e-cigs?

• Posted

Thanks for that airtag35939. I am going to try to give up the e-cig. It will not be easy and I hope it has not done too much damage. 
  • Posted

Omg give up the e cig I tried it for a month and my poor lungs swelled like a balloon.  My dr asked me if I was smoking again.  Also the pg in the e cig turns to formaldahide when heated, that is known to cause cancer,  Posted my the New England medical journal.  Also vg has a sugar content do you really want to put sugar in your lungs and feed pathogens?  The only only safe thing well slightly safe is the nicotine.  The only thing that seems to harm is blood pressure.  If you wait a scientist is creating a new inhaled nicotine inhaler that just contains nicotine that won't irritate your lungs or cause cancer.

• Posted

Thanks Pam34048. I thought my type of e-cig only did contain nicotine as it's not the vape type. What is pg and vg?

• Posted

Pg glycol and vg vegetable glycine.  Just give the things up, fags did not bother my lungs as bad as e cig.  I spent over 100 on e cig stuff to find out why my chest was so congested.
    • Posted

Thanks pam34048, what was the name of your e-cig?
    • Posted

180 but they are all the same.  If you really need nicotine try using the patch or the have a new inhaled mist at the pharmacy.  
    • Posted

Thanks. I'll discuss alternatives with the nurse at my appt on Thursday.

• Posted

Hi again, was your e-cig the type you pour liquid in?
    • Posted

Yes they come in different flavours and nicotine strengths.  They irratated my legs so bad I could just hold the smoke in my mouth and not inhale afte awhile.  I  have mild copd and had the methocholine challenge test to see if I had asthma, I passes that no asthma.  It took my lungs just using e cig months to recover actually I think I am still recovering from e cig.  I quit fags about 9 months ago, instead of smoking and e cig I use my time to make heathy meals, clean the house, exercise and take the dog to the park 3 times a day for fresh air.   It took me about 6 months to get over smoking some people take even less time.  I also read everything that could heal my lungs.

some people say you can't heal it and it will only get worse with time I don't believe that.  I don't know how far along your copd is but being congested all the time your lungs will only get worse.   

• Posted

Thanks pam34048, that is all very interesting. Although mine is not the type you put liquid in I am really starting to think it is causing damage, why else would things have gotten so much worse after quitting fags 2 yrs ago. Also, my left leg has been bothering me the last 3 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.