Lung function

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with COPD some while ago. It took 9 months to see a consutant who looked at my PET scan.

He said its quite mild and providing I look after myself it could stay that way.

He said I still have 90% lung function - I assume that means mild?

He also showed me the holes at the top of my lungs.

I started to wonder what it would mean to 'look after myself'

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi 90% lung function is brilliant - wish mine was that high. 

Looking after yourself means not smoking,  exercising,  and having a healthy diet. 

Take any meds you have been prescribed is important.   If you get a chest infection or an exacerbation (worsening of your symptoms) it is important to be on the ball in seeing your doctor as these can damage your lungs.  If you are not sure it is much better to be safe than sorry. 

Whilst COPD is a progressive chronic condition it doesn't usually progress quickly and with a lung function as good as yours old age will get you before that does.  Ok?   Live your life and enjoy it.  Bev x

• Posted

What lovely, and supportive, and encouraging comments.

I know it was meant for Jennissw .. but it made me feel so much better too.

God love you Bev ..

And thanks.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. 

I stopped smoking 6 years ago, thankfully. I walk 45 minutes every day, and eat fairly healthy now too. So I feel a lot better having read I am already doing the right things.

If I get a chest infection I am guessing I would need to get meds right away.

He said I dont need medication at ths stage which felt positive. I do get a little wheezy and cant do hills without getting short of breath and I guess I am aware my lungs are (albeit mildly) compromised.

Again thanks for your lovely, reassuring reply

• Posted

You are welcome jennissw.  You are doing all the right things and will live forever :d    Bev x

• Posted

Jenni I'm at 83% lung function with mild emphysema and adult onset persistent asthma. I stopped smoking 15 years ago and although just now diagnosed with both my pulmonologist thinks I probably had the same mild emphysema way back then. Which goes to show that although not curable we sure have a fighting chance of slowing anuy progression down substantially by doing the right things for our health. smile
  • Posted

(I assume the 90% lung function was disagnosed by a spirometry test?  It's certainly low, now your challenge is to keep it at that level as long as possible and slow down the inevitable reduction as the COPD progresses.

You should've been referred to rehab:  that's the VERY best way to learn how to look after yourself and the  sooner you start the better.   I started going when I was diagnosed with 70% lung function about 3 years ago and that hasn't deteriorated.   

Equally important is to stop smoking if you're a smoker and to stay away from other people's smoke and of course, all other air borne pollution as much as possible.

You're really lucky to have been disagnosed so early: when I went to rehab I was shocked to see people so far advanced they couldn't walk without oxygen tanks, and who were only starting rehab at that stage.

The consultant wasn't quite correct to say that your lung function will stay at that level if you "look after yourself" but you can certainly keep ait at that level for many years before it starts to deteriorate.

Personally I think it's lazy and  irresponsible for anyone to suggest you "look after yourself" without telling you how, but it's also up to us to ask questions - hard I know with some of those intimidating consultants - and take as much responsibility as possible for the management of the condition

I do hope you can find a pulmonary rehab group near you and that you can keep your lung function down for as long as possible

• Posted

Like many others on here ,,,,,if only we to had 90% lung capacity ,,,,oh happy days ,

my advise would be ,,,,

if you smoke ,,,,,STOP NOW ,

eat well ,,,,have your flu vaccination every year ,and exersise  I do an hour 2 days a week ,,,at the gym ,,,I was told walking was the best ,,,, further rather than faster ,,,,,good luck ,,,and keep your 90% 

• Posted

Hi Jennissw actually have seen many chronic cough patient in india but there is no actual reason this decease can u suggest me about chronic cough that what can be actual reason of chronic cough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.