Lunula

Posted , 9 users are following.

No, I haven't started making up words, all will be explained. If you're a hypochondriac, please go and read another thread.

About 10-12 years ago, before my heavy drinking hit my health, I was on a forum, nothing to do with alcohol, something completely unrelated. And someone posted a picture of something, the relevance was what the person was holding in their hand (it wasn't the hand of the person posting).

One person then commited, oh they are not well, they have a serious drink problem. Rather worried that this was some well known fact, I was worried anyone could tell I had a problem with alcohol just by looking at my hands. So I rather nonchantly said, hey I'm impressed, but how the hell can you tell his health and drinking status from his hand.

The reply was, that your nails tell an awful lot about your health and he said that the fact that the crescent on the thumb nail had disspeared was a sign of liver problems. That little crescent on your nail next to the cuticle is called lunula. Your nails in general and lunula in particular are a gateway to your health. I looked at my nails and sure enough, the crescent had all but gone,

Also I had a bit of the two tone effect, I can't tell you the colours as I'm colour blind, but it was not the normal neutral colour, more of a light red/dark blue from under the nail. Since I've stopped drinking (I noticed the same thing when I came out of hospital), I have lost the two tone colouring and the lunula has come back on my thumbs and is staring to appear on my fingers - thumbs seem to be the last bit to lose and the first to come back.

So, if you are one of these people that Googles eveything and want to worry yourself silly, needlessly, then Google 'lunula liver disease' and as well as the normal search, Google images for some pretty pictures. But do remember, the nails report a whole range of health symptoms and if yours aren't 100% they can be a whole range of reasons why they look a bit dull - such as not eating properly or a good diet.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm hypochondriac... Lol..so I had to read and Google! The first site I went to didn't mention liver for no moons...but the second site did...first site stated malnutrition and anemia.

One site mentioned half white and half pink nails for liver disease.

I have red lunula...mentions cardio vascular or manicures (vicky) And I also wonder if pure aging changes nails.

Interesting topic. I will be looking at everyone's nails today.

• Posted

Nailed it, RHGB.  OK on thumbs... very little to see on other fingers as I have short nail beds.  I was a serious nailbiter, as a child.  

Strangely enough, I did know about the lunula.  I am one of those folk who are always looking up health interests !... Sick hobby?

That was a very informative post, though.  There's not much gets past you.

Off to file and polish !!

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

very interesting!! All mine show but very small on my little finger...what a relief!!
  • Posted

Yes, a good point - the colour of urine can be a good indicator as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.