Lupus advice, please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

After a meningitis scare and hospital admission; I'm now being testing for lupus and other things.

Basically, I was sent to the hospital because I had some Petechiae rash and a low grade fever (although I think my stressed may have caused the fever) I suffer from severe OCD and anxiety (especially health anxiety).

The hospital tested me for most viral things and did the common blood tests and everything came back okay and they said it was most likely just a small viral infection, so I was sent home.

I went back to the GP for a follow up and explained some symptoms. And she decided to run a bunch of tests including those for thyroid and lupus. Thyroid and others came back fine, including RA factor and inflammation markings. but I'm still waiting for my ANA. and it's causing such bad distress and panic attacks.

I've been having knee pains since childhood (I'm now 20). The doctors always told me it was "growing pains", so we left it as that. But the knee pains have stayed with me through to now. (The cold and overuse makes them worse). However, within the past year or two, or more, the pain has moved to my arm and fingers. The pain radiates quickly. The pain is in my upper arm, forearm, thumb, sometimes other fingers, knees, and shins. and some other places too I'm sure. I don't have any noticeable swelling, inflammation, or redness.

That was the main symptom but I'm reading that that's all it takes for some people.

Aside from the random Petechiae and low fever (37.4)

I also think I have IBS, but I've had this for years and I believe it to caused by my mental health issue.

I'm also very fair skinned and do get heat rashes when I'm stressed or anxious, but they fade within minutes.

I'm just truly so anxious and freaking out. I'm convinced I have Lupus and I'm convinced it's going to ruin my life and kill me. I have so many goals in life and I'm not going to be able to accomplish them if I have it. The internet is scaring me so badly and I just want some advice from people who have Lupus on what they think of my case, because it's been impossible waiting for the ANA and I'm so convinced it'll come back positive.

Also, is it a death sentence?

I'm so sorry for the long winded post, I just need some help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No. Lupus is not the death sentence it once was. It can be serious or mild, no 2 cases are alike. Lupusorg webite has more info. There are medications that can help. Hang in there! No point worrying - either way you'll be alright and if you do have lupus you'll have options for meds. JJ

• Posted

Lupus is very serious, but there varying levels of it and it can be controled. I have had two doctors think that I have Lupus, but they were unable to prove it as the steroid medication that I take for IBD masks the inflammatory markers, so they look normal. I had Vasculitis and that is a condition that happens with Lupus. They still don't know if I have it. These kinds of diseases are difficult to diagnose. Even if you have Lupus I wouldn't let it stop you. There are medicines that can help and I wouldn't put my life on hold due to Crohn's disease or even if I have Lupus. I will always continue to do the things I want to do. There are times when I don't feel good and I stay home, but I try to get moving and get out of the house. If they find Lupus in you, then you need to discuss treatments for it and with medication you will be fine. So don't worry so much. It isn't good for you.

• Posted

Stay calm and strong. Support is out there. I have bad anxiety too. Just be vigilant of your symptoms and insist Drs test you regularly with complete labworks. Feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.