lupus and fibromyalgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i am new to this but just wondering  can any one give me some addvice i have been on dissability for 4 years  had my medical a few weeks ago and it has been refused really dont know what to do could go back to work has a carer but i know i will end up back they way i was  frown be glad if some one could help

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am sorry for what you are going through.   I am not sure whether you failed the ESA or the PIP assessement but you should be able to appeal.  Get any help you can from the CAB or any disability helplines.  Many appeals are won so it it well worth while.  x

• Posted

You can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration within one month of refusal. If they refuse you again you go to tribunal. Face to face or a paper reconsideration .Which is what Iam going through right now. Best of luck. My award ended in January. It has been devastating. I am in the ESASupport group but they are about to do a review. I had shoulder surgery    So cannot work. These assessments are totally illogical and unfair. They supercede our surgeons and GPS
  • Posted

Hi Julie

As stated the first thing is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration within a month of the date on the decision letter. If you don’t do this then there is no route to appeal.

We see many Lupus and Fibromyalgia claimants failing the PIP medical. I don’t know if these conditions are being targeted by the DWP but I do get that feeling.

PIP is awarded on the grounds of 10 descriptors for daily living and 2 Descriptors for Mobility. It is not enough to simply have a condition (such as Fibromyalgia or Lupus) the conditions have to affect you so badly that you require help with personal care or limit mobility to no more than 50 meters.

Look up the descriptors online and see if any apply to you. You need to score at least 8 points to get standard help and 12 points to get Enhanced help. You will need to provide evidence such as written statements from any carers that provide care.

Finally do you claim ESA?

• Posted

Look up the descriptors online and see if any apply to you. You need to score at least 8 points to get standard help and 12 points to get Enhanced help. You will need to provide evidence such as written statements from any carers that provide care.

From what I am seeing and hearing, especially from the local AgeUK office is that the DWP do in fact target certain conditions.

It is also clear that far too much leeway in decision making is giving skewed results.

One such case that was told to me recently was that two almost identical claimants with the same condition and needs/difficulties differed in the award that was given. One received ERC & SRM whilst the other was turned down with no award. 

• Posted

i really do think its just a lucky dip are your face fits  think you have a good chance if your good with words and explaining your self which i am not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.