Lupus Hair Loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good Afternoon,

Has anyone eels experienced hair loss. I have lost so much hair that its sad. I don't know if its the Lupus itself, the prednisone or the Plaquenil. sad  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Ironically I’ve just posted on the Lupus UK forum asking the same thing!

I noticed something had changed last year when my hair became very brittle, I’ve only been on hydroxy for two months, still unconfirmed diagnosis but likely to be lupus, anyway, my hair has got worse and I can’t work out if it’s due to a flare or the hydroxy!

• Posted

Well that is always the question is it the meds or the illness. I suffered quite bad scalp pain and hair loss and I think that a lot of the hair loss was because I was using interferon at the time. Never used steroids so don't know about that. I am currently on Plaquenil and not noticed any with that.

I do suggest though that you also look at your hair products. Not suggesting it is causing the problem but certainly my hair and scalp react better to a simpke shampoo/conditioner like Boots own make Beautiful Hair. Less chemicals in there than the more expensive brands.

There is a whole discussion on this topic currently on the Facebook group for Vasculitis UK. If you use facebook join the group and have a look. Lots of suggestions there x

• Posted

And yes my probkem exactly....hair is dry and brittle and breaks. The other thing I suggest is don't blow dry too much or use straighteners on your hair.

• Posted

Hi Tiffy.  I actually get the lupus rash on my scalp which causes a burning sensation and irritation when active. I have also been treated with Prednisilone and unfortunately one of the side effects is hair loss. Mine wasn't too great luckily, but all people are different. Get your scalp checked just to make sure it's clear as I always presumed the rash was mainly on the face, ears, chest etc.  This isn't so, you can get it on your scalp. The benefits of taking steroids for a short period to help your symptoms, inflammation etc., for me anyway, far outweigh the hair loss. It's it's not too severe that is. Hope you get to the bottom of it and get some reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.