Lupus nerve and joint pain relief recommendations?

Posted , 7 users are following.

After a year of pain throughout my body, I've finally be diagnosed with Lupus and been put on Plaquenil I've only been on it a little more than 2 months I know it's the kind of medicine that takes awhile to really make a difference... But my joint and nerve pain has been so awful sad I was wondering if anyone can suggest any relief?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I do feel for you because I suffer from joint and muscle pain. I take Codeine, naproxen and more recently Nefopam. Nefopam works differently to the other painkillers by blocking the pain and can be taken with other painkillers. I take 2 tablets 3 times a day when necessary. I do find it very effective and it's routinely given to women in labour and to post operative patients so it must be good.
    • Posted

Thank you! I'll mention it to my rheumatologist. I just hate the idea of taking all this medication rolleyes im only 21 and have more health issues than my own parents haha it's definitely not s fun time! I am huge fitness person in which it helps sometimes but I have so many of those days were my knees just can't handle it. Hopefully we can find relief some day!
    • Posted

I find if I take the Nefopam with another painkiller it helps enormously and then I can walk much easier and generally feel much better.
  • Posted

HI,

The type of pain you are experiencing is neuropathic in origin and requires a different group of medications to combat it. Speak to your GP and ask for a prescription for one or other of these types of drug, they include Amitriptyline, Gabapentin, Nortriptyline, other low dose anti-depressants and so on. Research has shown that low dose anti-depressants have enormous benefits in reducing these types of pain. Paroxetine is another which is used with great effect. For me it was Amitriptyline. 

They often have the added benefit of inducing sleepiness as a side effect - a bonus for most sufferers in this particularly horrible boat, I now get an average of 4 - 5 hours sleep a night instead of the abysmal 2 - 3 if I was lucky!!!!

Good luck.

• Posted

I would strongly suggest you speak with your rheumatologist about stronger pain killers but if you are looking for something else I can recommend Epsom Salts.

If you put a mug full in a nice warm bath and bathe in it for 20/30 minutes and repeat this 2-3 times a week it can help.

I found that when I was first diagnosed I just wanted to sleep constantly as you can't feel pain when your asleep!

• Posted

It is really difficult to find something that helps with all the symptoms. I Try to keep to herbal remedies to relax me which seems to help. Rescue Remedy and Valerian are good for me. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hiya i understand yourpain im in same boat wen my lupus is active my neck shoulders ache so much i cant move my neck at times ... Im on tramadol wich is for my other medical issues but helps my lupus to also azerthyoprine hope things get better i would recomend anti depressants because u will start relying on tgem too much .
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your I n pain try and get a referral to pain clinic not only will they get you on the correct meds they will show you ways to relax and

Pace your self they made an enormous difference to me .For my pain I

Take pregabalin for nerve pain and tramadol for muscle and other pain

Good luck

• Posted

Hi thanks for your message. My pain clinic has closed and am waiting for a start date for a new one. I am glad it works for you.

With best wishes

Val

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.