Lupus or sjogrens?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been feeling pretty sick for a while and seeing a whole bunch of doctors! I have quite a few symptoms that I'm not gong to go over now. I feel that I could have lupus. I saw a Rheumatologist who agreed that I likely have an autoimmune disorder. He ordered Lupus and Sjogrens tests. He told me he thinks I could have fibromyalgia and Sjodrens together, (not lupus). I got some labwork back but do not go back to discuss diagnosis for two more weeks. Its driving me crazy! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? I am going to post my lab results - does this look more like Lupus or Sjogrens?

ABNORMAL LABS:

-White Blood Cell- LOW- 3.8 * 1000 mm/3 (normal begins at 4.5 *1000)

-ANA Ab: Positive 1:80

-ANA IFA: Positive 1:320 (Speckled Pattern)

-SSA (Related to Sjogren's?): Moderately High and Positive

-ENA (Smith Ab + RNP): Positive

-Neut Percent: Slightly Low

-Neutro Auto Abs: Slightly Low

NORMAL RELATED LABS:

-Rest of Complete blood count: Normal

-C3 & C4: Normal

-CK (creatine kinase): Normal

-SSB (Related to Sjogren;s?): Normal and Negative

-double strand DNA: Normal

There is so much overlap between the two that I cannot figure out, which it turn is driving me crazy! I've been feeling so fatigued and sick and waiting for answers for almost three months now and it feels like forever!! I meet some of the symptoms of sjogrens and more than 4 of the 11 criteria for Lupus, by the way. Please let me know if any one you have had similar result and what your final diagnosis! 

Thanks a bunch!

Carly

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi cmmusiclover

Need to know your symptoms

• Posted

My symptoms (in order of most interfering to least):

-Chronic, severe, debilitating fatigue

-Chronic pain and swelling/arthritis

-Frequent infections

-heat intolerant

-feeling exhausted after small tasks

-skin rash & headache in sunlight

-frequent canker sore breakouts in mouth

-chest pain and pleuritis

-hair loss

-dry eyes/reduced tear production (meaning I rarely have real tears when I cry)

-overall feeling of malaise (could possibly be due to the chronic fatigue and chronic pain/swelling)

-The various positive tests already mentioned in first post.

Is this helpful?

• Posted

Hi cmmusiclover

Your symptoms suggest lupus..but your blood results say no..the dry eyes suggest sjogrens and your blood test say yes....the dsDNA gene test is a definitive test for Lupus... I noticed in your blood test you have not had an ESR blood test..Erythrocite Sedimentation Rate blood test for inflammation along with a CRP blood test..C-Reactive Protein blood test..if these are high along with the ANA blood tests it will show you have inflammation in your body which could indicate Polymyalgia Rheumatica which causes the symptoms you describe..ask your doc about these blood tests...best wishes.....keep us posted..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.