Lycocytoclastic vasculitis and joint pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have been diagnosed with the above and have been in hospital for a week, in Germany. They have been really good and I have felt well looked after. Still waiting for some test results (eg the biopsy). I am back at home in the UK now and I still suffer from joint pains pretty much everywhere. Feel like I've been in constant pain for weeks and it grinds you down. Currently on a diminishing dose of Prednisolone and for the pain they prescribed Novalgin in Germany but once back here I realised that Novalgin isn't licensed in this country. GP has given me Cocodamol instead. This works but not for long so I have to be on full whack.

What does anyone else do for the pain ..? Does it ever go away??

Also has anyone else got a family history of vasculitis? I have told every doctor I have seen about my dad who suffered from Giant Cell Arteritis 13 years ago. Some shrug, some mumble something about it running in families. What have you been told, if anything?

Thanks for your comments..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Prednisone should work better for pain. Novalgin is no longer used anymore in most countries.

Vasculitis is usually from infections or allergic reactions from chemicals. 

It may or may not be from genetic reasons, like lupus. 

• Posted

I would have tought Naproxen would be the first port of call to reduce the swelling (I'm assuming you have some) that causes the joint pain in the first place.  Cocodamol is just a painkiller

• Posted

Thank you, both of you! Since I wrote my comment, the pain has come right down, maybe the Prednisone is taking hold. I hope this has been a one-off and that it will not reoccur. I'll keep following discussions on this blog though as it is very informative

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.