Lyme disease - antibiotics didn't work

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi, Im just looking for a little advice or if anyone has a similar experience.

Three and a half weeks ago I discovered a tick attached inside my belly button. I had most probably picked it up three days before when I was walking in a forest. Due to where the tick was i was not able to remove it myself so had to attend the local minor injury clinic where it was removed. A few days later I started to feel very unwell - swollen glands, aching muscles and joints, severe headache and light and sound sensitivity. I went to my GP who prescribed a two week course of doxycycline. After starting the antibiotics i felt much worse and developed other symptoms including the round rash, red swollen eyes and numbness in my face and hands. I completed the antibiotics then returned to the doctor last week who told me it was now post-infectious so further antibiotics would not be helpful.

I still feel very achy with sore joints and nasty headaches. Im also incredibly tired and have been sleeping for about 16 hours in every 24.

I was hoping to return to work this week but I am totally unable to function properly.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or if there is anything I can do to start feeling better? Also, after antibiotic treatment how long did it take others to start feeling better?

Any information would be fantastic!!

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I need help or any information I believed I was bit by a tick back in August but I don't recall that and didn't get any rash or anything I just can't remember. I started to feel very tire a lot of body ache I went to my regular doctor but he said everything look fine and I was sent for X-rays also but he said everything looked good . I decided to get a second opinion and in December I was diagnosed with Lyme Diease I was immediately out of Doxycycline for 21 days. Look for a infectious Diease doc before I was done with the treatment he said he will add anothe 10 more days. I want able to finish the last 4 days I was making me really sick I felt soo nausea and it just felt soo heavy in my stomach and gave me headaches. Finally I went back to My ID doctor was put on Tramadol for pain were now in April I'm still on Tramadol to deal with the pain. I ask to get tested again because I feel like the pain is worst now but he said it will just come positive. So right I am not in any kind of treatment just Tramadol to help with the pain. He said it was caught early but why is that I have soo much pain ? Should I see another doctor ? Is there any diet ? Because he told me that the food has nothing to do with it .
  • Posted

Hi. I know you posted about a year ago about Lyme disease but was wondering how you was getting on. My husband has just been diagnosed with Lyme disease had all the symptoms as you, been put on doxy but had to pay for a private test and now is buying his own pills on line. Have been reading it could take a year of taking antibiotics to make any difference at all. Hope your feeling better.
  • Posted

Hello I got Lyme last summer and I still suffer with a ton of pain. But I remember when I was taking the meds it's got worse before it got better. I think because you caught it so soon that you will be just fine. I wish you well.

Leelee323

• Posted

Hello I was just wondering if I could ask you for some advice. I was bit around 8 weeks ago and didn't realise it was a tick bite until I got the rash. I went to the doctors and he prescribed me the doxycycline 100mg x2 per day for two weeks. I've had horrendous herxs at the beginning and only having slight symptoms coming and going now? I did catch it early I believe but still have the rash on my leg but it has faded? I don't know if I need any more antibiotics or if this will be enough? Any advice would be great? I also already have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and syatica so sometimes it's hard to distinguish what is what? Would the bloods come back negative if the antibiotics have worked so I could possibly check?

Thanks

Katie

• Posted

Bless you, I just been biten too, removed the tick two nights ago, got a treatment but it's totally wiping me out, I hope it will work as my twin has Lymes disease already from years ago. How much mg was you on? Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.