Lyme disease in UK question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Is anyone here from the UK who has Lyme Disease? My doctor believes you cannot get Lymes in the UK but I'm wondering if I have it. How do you get tested for it in the UK?

Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Tell your doctor you certainly can get Lyme in the UK. Sounds like he/she hasn't got a clue. I was bitten on the South Downs, Glyndebourne Estate in Sussex and tested positive after blood test. I'm still unwell four years on. If you've done the research and have good reason to believe you may have Lyme, tell your GP that you want a blood test ASAP. Be very serious and direct about this. If that comes back negative but your symptoms continue, that's a whole different story altogether...but keep us posted and good luck.

• Posted

Hi

You can get lyme in the UK. There are annual figures online. I have 2 rickettsia infections and ehrlichia which are tick related infections. My lyme test came back negative. My infectious disease consultant admitted the first serum test is only 50% accurate..it needs to be positive before moving on to the second test which is the western blot. The new official NICE regulations to be adopted in 2018 can be found online, there is a lot on info in these to show your doctor. These include the unreliabity of the serum test so you can argue for a second one if symptoms persist. Trying to get a rickettsia screen and ehrlichia is even harder butbvery important so stand your ground, Best of luckx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.