Lymes disease diognosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 26 and was out in the wood when but by a tick. Four days after I notice it was latched on behind my knee. I removed it not knowing and thought no more about it. Two weeks later I fell I'll with flue symptoms went to a&e feeling quite I'll with fatigue and was tested for lymes and the test result was negative. I then got a round circle on my leg and another on the other leg. I went to the docs and they said they thought it was unusual and wouldn't be lymes Ecuador I wasn't in a area where they have been reported before. BRISTOl so I got a second opinion and got a blood test that came back positive. I was put on amoxocillin 500mg 3 times a day for 3 weeks. I have been on it two weeks now and have been experiencing sharp pains in my left hand side under my breast when I breath and yesterday started getting spasms in my back. Phoned the docs and been told they are symptoms of the lymes disease and not to worry because I have been given treatment. My treatment was delayed by two months due to the first test being negative so I'm worried that there wrong and the disease has worsened and that there lack of knowledge with this disease could lead me to get sick. Does anyone have any suggestion?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Faye,

I'm sure you know now that your first GP should have clinically diagnosed Lyme Disease when you presented with the bullseye rash, having been bitten by a tick and exhibiting flu like symptoms.

I caught Lyme Disease last year and was finally diagnosed after 3 months, so you are in the fairly early stages of Lyme Disease and should make a full recovery. However, I'm not sure about the antibiotic you've been given or the length of time. I was given Doxycycline for 28 days.

I suggest you contact Lyme Disease Action. They are a recognised source of information regarding LD and will advise you. Here is the link:

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk[/b]/

Use the contact option to email them and they will reply to you and give you great advice. I found them to be really informative and I was able to liaise with my GP much better with their help.

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that due to the nature of the disease, it's best to treat it with the correct antibiotic at the maximum dosage and for 28 days. You do not want to have to revisit this again  in the future as many people have found it difficult to receive treatment after being diagnosed the first time and have then relapsed.

Regarding the spasms in the back. I had these and it feels like being tortured. Keep taking your antibiotics and check that with Lyme Disease Action that you're being treated with the right drug, etc. You might be having a Herx reaction - refer to the Lyme Disease Website which explains what this is. A Herx is a reaction you may get when the bacteria start to die off, but LDA will explain it correctly.

Try to get plenty of rest and keep hydrated.

Get informed, stay calm and take care of yourself.

You might wish to stay in touch with the group via this website. Each person has some valuable information that they have learnt that can help you with along your recovery from Lyme Disease. If they switch you to Doxycycline, post another message, as I have some tips about what you should and shouldn't do whilst on that antibiotic.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Caroline x

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

If you want to avoid your posts going for moderation and being delayed because of including the LDA web link you can use the one I have put in your post above. As it is an inhouse link it will not go for moderation.

It is also linked in the right sidebar on these discussion pages.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Caroline Wenttodocs today they gave me ECG come back good. Doc changed my antibiotic to one you said. Gave me some pain relief for my back diff tabs for chest. Said if I develop any new symptoms with chest etc there send me for x ray etc
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, i am about to go for my referral, and am going to ask for Doxy antibiotics. Ive had all the usual symptoms, neck stiffness, sever back problems, now starting with scary neurological problems like confusion, numbness, tingling, tinnitus, eye problems, heart problems.

So just want to be sure I get the right dose from the start!

Thank you for any advice x

• Posted

Hi Faye,

That's great, I hope you feel that you're on the right track now, medication wise.

Regarding Doxycycline, I did well on it, but there's a few things you need to know. Here are a few tips.

1. Have something to eat before you take the tablet, to avoid stomach cramping

2. Keep out of the sun. Doxycycline makes your skin sensitive to burning. I learnt this the hard way.

3. Take the tablets at the same time each day

4. It is important to swallow each doxycycline tablet whole with a full glass of water, so the capsule can move as swiftly as possible into the stomach and prevent irritation of the throat or oesophagus.

5. Alcohol may reduce the effectiveness of the medicine, so avoid drinking alcohol whilst taking the course

6. I didn't suffer from this one, but some people may suffer visual disturbances, such as blurring of vision whilst taking Doxy, so be aware of that and avoid driving if this happens to you.

7. Finish the course completely. Don't stop taking the capsules if you start to feel better.

8. Read the patient information leaflet enclosed in the Doxycyline tablet box.

9. You may or may not have a Herx reaction. I had one and it lasted about 24 hours. It's not very nice, but if you've read up about it and are prepared, you can get through it fine. My partner stayed at home whilst it happened. Everyone has a different reaction and some have no Herx reactions at all. Look it up on the Lyme Disease Action website so you know what to expect. Don't assume it's a reaction to the Doxycycline. However, if your breathing becomes adversely affected, consult with your GP. Remember that they are probably learning about the disease too, so it's a good opportunity for your GP to get on board and become interested in your progress.

It takes time to heal. Expect to start feeling better in 10-14 days and then gradually a bit more each week.

You WILL feel exhausted. Just sleep.

It may take months for you to feel 100% again. Don't worry, you will get there. I had months of brain fog and forgetfulness but am back to speed now. 

Do keep in touch on the forum and all the very best for your recovery.

Best wishes,

Caroline

• Posted

Caroline's reply to you is excellent in my opinion....she is right you are still in early stage....she is right doxycycline is the one....(I took it for 4 weeks and I didn't touch alchohol and ate food with it....if you had a tick...let me change that....if you had a rash that had a bulleye type ring...THAT is lyme......I feel that you will be fine and make a full recovery like I did.......

Gary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.